Blackeye - Tour de Rockies '08
Login FAQ
Register  

Sportsmobileforum.com

An online forum community for the owners, admirers and fans of Sportsmobile vans and Sprinters, new and old. Share photos, advice, discuss modifications, camping or buy & sell. Anyone who owns, has a passion for, or just curiosity about SMBs, come in!
The time now is Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:08 pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 am   Post subject: Recommendations for group 4D AGM RV Extra Battery

I called Sportsmobile what kind of extra battery comes with the van. They said it was a:

Group 4D AGM RV/marine with L terminals battery

Does anybody have a recommendation?
Are L terminals manditory for installation?

I am considering a FullRiver DC200-12:
http://www.fullriver.com/products/admin ... 200-12.pdf

Or a Universal Power Group UB-4D AGM:
http://www.apexbattery.com/group-4d-agm ... eries.html

Thanks
Admin IV
Support Platinum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 pm   Post subject:

They all look good. Here is what I have in mine. It's up to you to choose so maybe this will help.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvbatteries.php
Dave B
Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
Admin IV
Support Gold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:00 pm   Post subject:

I would rather have 2 Group 27 batteries than one 4D battery. Mere mortals can lift the Group 27s, but not the 4Ds.

And the power from 2 smaller batteries is about the same as the larger 4D.

Not to mention you may have more mounting options with the smaller batteries.

And the smaller batteries are more readily available when it comes time to replace the battery.

When I was ordering my van from Indiana, I asked about a 4D and they said they don't deal with them. So, 2 smaller batteries for me.

Mike
SMB Trailer w/AT Air Suspension
Alaska to Key West, Labrador and more
113782 miles 16.68 mpg average
Prostate cancer survivor. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11099

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 pm   Post subject:

Ford_6L_E350 wrote:
I would rather have 2 Group 27 batteries than one 4D battery. Mere mortals can lift the Group 27s, but not the 4Ds.

And the power from 2 smaller batteries is about the same as the larger 4D.

Not to mention you may have more mounting options with the smaller batteries.

And the smaller batteries are more readily available when it comes time to replace the battery.

When I was ordering my van from Indiana, I asked about a 4D and they said they don't deal with them. So, 2 smaller batteries for me.

Mike

I thought there was an Issue charging both batteries in 12V Parallel? When the first one to get charged before the other one, doesn't the second one never get fully charged?

I have a TrippLite Powerverter and (1) 8D battery and its awesome..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:28 pm   Post subject:

My Thermoil 1427 batteries (2) just gave out, so I just bought 2 Lifeline Deep Cycle AGM batteries as replacements. (The Thermoils had been in use since I got my SMB in Feb 2001, 75,000 miles ago.) I went with 2 group 27 batteries, rather than 1 4D, because of previously mentioned considerations here (e.g., each weighs about 1/2 of a 4D; together they have about the same capacity as a 4D), plus they fit in the same space, with the same cable attachments, as the old Thermoils. In addition, I'm getting a Charge Wizard (Progressive Dynamics PD9105, about $30) to plug into my existing PD9140A charger/converter to provide 3-stage charging, but I don't really know if it's necessary or how well it works. Haven't done anything about the alternator, other than following the posts that Mike Wilson started about rigging up an inverter and relay, which sounds like a slick idea.
Admin IV
Support Gold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:25 pm   Post subject:

[quote="NRLI thought there was an Issue charging both batteries in 12V Parallel? When the first one to get charged before the other one, doesn't the second one never get fully charged?
[/quote]

No problem charging 2 batteries in parallel. If there were, Ford diesels would have an issue with the 2 starting batteries in parallel.

There could be an issue if one battery is going bad - it will pull down the good one. For that reason, both batteries are usually replaced at the same time.

Mike
SMB Trailer w/AT Air Suspension
Alaska to Key West, Labrador and more
113782 miles 16.68 mpg average
Prostate cancer survivor. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11099

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:52 pm   Post subject:

Any recommendations on where to order replacement batteries?
X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost + Scan Gauge
and now SCT Live Wire (Economy)

http://www.joeynick.net/

"People sleep peacefully in their beds while men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:00 pm   Post subject:

I think "Batteries Plus" has the best prices in San Diego for the Concord/Lifeline AGM's. I once had to buy twelve and so shopped around quite a bit. It was a special order but they arrived in a few days, though for us the factory is only a two hour drive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:59 pm   Post subject:

As noted in my post above, I just bought two Lifeline AGM batteries to replace my ancient Thermoils, which had just given up. If you go to lifelinebatteries.com, you can find a local dealer. I'm in the S.F. Bay Area and I found 3 (with pretty different prices), but I wound up getting them through powerstridebatteries.com. They had the best price + free delivery via UPS. I considered Deka (find them thru Google; I can't remember their web address) because they were cheaper, but after a lot of research I went with Lifeline. Give me another 8 or 10 years and I'll let you know if that was the best move; so far I haven't gone anywhere with these new batteries. All I know so far is they were delivered with a full charge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:29 pm   Post subject: Best price I could find for Lifeline 4D battery

Arrived at 12.75 VDC, free shipping, very helpful customer ser vice, but will not deliver to home, need loading dock.

http://www.bdbatteries.com/marinebatter ... agodF2SGWQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 am   Post subject:

Mike, I think you may have the answer to my question. Right now I have a Deka 4D. When that goes bad, I would much rather install two 12v batts instead of one 4D. I assume they are wired to each other + to + and - to - and cables attach to - on one batt and + on the other?? If not, how is this done properly? Seems I may have asked this before, but getting a head cold, so who knows.
Admin IV
Support Platinum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:41 pm   Post subject:

deminimis wrote:
Mike, I think you may have the answer to my question. Right now I have a Deka 4D. When that goes bad, I would much rather install two 12v batts instead of one 4D. I assume they are wired to each other + to + and - to - and cables attach to - on one batt and + on the other?? If not, how is this done properly? Seems I may have asked this before, but getting a head cold, so who knows.

Yep your correct plus to plus and negitive to negitive. If you go the other route you'll get 24 volts. The bad thing about twin systems is that one battery can ruin the other if one fails for some reason and you don't catch it in time. Plus now you have more to go wrong with the bus. I have twin 4D's and wouldn't change it though. I keep an eye on the system for problems and so far all has been good. There is that price verses power thing. If you don't need that much power why pay the big bucks. Concord batteries are some of the best out there but very high priced.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Dave.
Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures