Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #1

Quick Starter Batt Size Question

Need to order up a Yellow Top to match my batt under the hood. Will a group 34/78 batt fit in the batt box along the frame (under the 40/60) door? Not talking my 4D batt, but the second starter batt (my 7.3 has one under the hood and one under the door). Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Deminimis, you've probably seen my post from a while back when I replaced both of my starting batteries with Optimas. Both of mine are under the side doors and I used the yellow top 34Ds.
Info and photos under Starter Batteries in the Modifications section. (Don't know how to post the link here.) If your one battery box is like mine the fit is great.
I'm sure you know to replace both of 'em at the same time....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Wade I went to replace a red top battery on my SS after the alarm killed it. When I went to Costco all they had were these taller batteries. They were shaped different than before; taller and the cells were off set. I’m not sure if they are a different group or type. I know it will be difficult to fit those Optima's into my bass boat and no way in the car. Maybe that’s all Costco had at the time. They always change crap. How come you’re using yellow tops? I thought the red top put out more cranking amps.
Someone posted on Odyssey Batteries some time back and I think these are one of the few which produce true cranking amps in a deep cell version but wow they are expensive. Run these into the ground and it will piss you off, but if they recover better than the Optima’s I might look at them. I’ve lost 2 Optima’s in 3 years because of that stupid alarm. I do have a friend who runs deep cycles as starting batteries but not on a diesel. I pulled my batteries on my PSD but couldn't tell you what will fit, sorry.
Here’s that link to Odyssey
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/index.htm
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #4

Damn, you guys caught me. My SMB came with a batt that didn't allow the hood to close. I installed a yellow top. Tried to get away with it. Getting a little sluggish in the AM, so time to match the second one to the yellow top before its too late. Measured tonight and it will fit. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #5

Batteries

daveb,
My 2400 Bay Ranger came with four of the 2150 Odyssey's and I have found them to be the best ever for my 36 volt Minn Kota , I am amazed at their staying power and the amount of reserve at the end of a long day . These are the first that I have ever owned and based on their performance after a year I will certainly replace them with like batteries .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #6

daveb - you're right that the red tops are supposed to be used as starting batteries, but I went with the yellows as I use a winch and air compressor a lot. According to Optima, the yellows are the way to to in that case. Actually, I've used the yellows in all my rigs just for starting as they were available when I needed 'em. Never had a problem. Been in there for years and still cranking.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #7

Yep, me too. I run a red top in my buggy as that's strictly starting. However, with the SMB, there are lots of draws so thought pacing my juice made more sense.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
daveb - you're right that the red tops are supposed to be used as starting batteries, but I went with the yellows as I use a winch and air compressor a lot. According to Optima, the yellows are the way to to in that case. Actually, I've used the yellows in all my rigs just for starting as they were available when I needed 'em. Never had a problem. Been in there for years and still cranking.
So do the taller Optima batteries fit in the battery boxes under the van? Does Optima still offer the same size battery they had a few years back or are they all one size now? I wonder if they were a specific group to be that size. I'm still considering the Odyssey batteries when mine go.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #9

There are a number of different sizes (groups). The only ones I've ever bought are the group 34 batteries. Looks lit it will fit just fine. Should have my new one tomorrow or Friday. Had tons of room to spare under the hood with the 34.