Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Gas Webasto Airtop 2000 install

Well I just finished installing my webasto heater over the weekend and did a little writeup on it....ahh so nice to finally have heat

http://straightjacketadventures.com/ind ... &tb=1&pb=1

jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Very Nice!

I'm also considering doing the same thing even though I have the Propane Setup(Tank).. and also worry about the Carbon Dioxide..even though I have one of the best sensitive CO detectors in place..

I've got an extra fuel line with a seperate fuel pump after I installed the DIY Transfer Flow install, and use it to top off the Honda 2000 and motorcycles but I can also use that fuel outlet and split it off for the webasto heater..

Thanks for the writeup and PICs!
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #3

This is kind of off topic (I like the install however, I take it the exhaust and gas is seperate from the cabin air?) but on my last trip I got propane/natural gas smell 3 seperate times. The first was after filling my tank, the guy pulled the nozzle with pressure and there was a large visible blow out of propane. Since I was lazy and didn't seal the back 3rd of the access panel for the propane and electrical the propane went right into the cabin. When I parked to pay I opened the rear window and turned on the Fantastic Fan and by the time I was finished the rather strong smell was gone.

The second time I was behind a tanker and smelled a really strong dose of natural gas or propane. It disappeared right after I passed him, but his radio was off so I couldn't warn him.

The third time was when I parked in a vacant lot in Truth or Consequences NM. I slept horrible and when I woke up the van smelled strongly of natural gas. Once I left it went away.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #4

Jage:
Yes the exhaust, intake, and gas line all enter the heater from the bottom and only outside air is used for combustion. The air inside the van is run through the heater and heated by an air to air heat exchanger.

This photo is the combustion intake, exhaust, and gas line, all underneath the van:

On your last trip do you think it's possible they initially overfilled your tank so you were smelling it venting on occasion?

NRL:
Dropping the tank was by far the hardest/most time consuming part of the install, since you wouldn't have to do that it should be a pretty easy install for you!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #5

The last smell was definitly Natural Gas not propane, and he didn't overfill, as I was watching carefully- the first time I had it done it was overfilled and I never had a smell.

That picture makes it clear, I was seeing the two big silver lines and thinking that was fuel and fuel return, so I wasn't sure where the air was coming and going... obviously the black line I missed in the other pics is fuel (forgot about fuel lines without a return!) and the silver the in and out air. As a friend once said, "Ah, now I see: I was just being stupid."
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #6

actually i didn't accurately describe that picture, when looking at it from left to right, the first black cable you see is the fuel pump wiring harness, the big bright silver tube is the combustion air intake, the next black line is the fuel line (the fuel line is actually a clear line, it just has a protective black plastic sheath on it), and on the far right the darker silver tube is the exhuast tube.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the detailed write up Jeff, nice job. Now you got me thinking again. I was sold on the vented catalytic, but forgot about the moisture issues. I also assumed I couldn't get one of these for under 2000 bucks. The catalytic is half the cost of yours, I may have to upgrade my plans. How loud is this heater compared to a propane forced air? Please let us know how it goes, I'll be staying tuned since I'll be installing something in the spring.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #8

Re: Gas Webasto Airtop 2000 install

Well I just finished installing my webasto heater over the weekend and did a little writeup on it....ahh so nice to finally have heat

Thanks from me also. I had posted this on another discussion subject and you responded to it there, but this discussion seems more on topic. So here it is again with links to the 2 options that I have found. I am trying to avoid installing the propane system also. Plan to use portable stove. I'm also thinking about just having a couple of 7 gallon water jugs. Seems easier than worrying about winterizing, pumps, etc.

It looks like Webasto and Espar both make gas versions of these heaters. Has anyone used them? Does SMB offer them as an option?

This page shows both gas and diesel:
http://www.webastoshowroom.com/blueheat ... _specs.htm

This link mentions petrol variant and diesel. I am assuming that petrol is gas.
http://espar.com/html/products/airtronic5.html
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #9

this may be a little off manufacturer. i am looking at both
sportsmobile and safari condo. each has some good stuff and each
has their deficiencies(in my opinion) in what i a looking for.

safari condo installs the gas webasto heater and swears by it.

if i could get a safari condo top and webasto gas heater from
sportsmobile that would be ideal

gerry
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #10

Sportsmobile Fresno now installs the gasoline powered Espar furnace (as well as the older Espar diesel model). In Kamas they said it would be around $2,500 installed.
If anyone knows where I can get a comparison price on a Webasto furnace plus installation in California please post the info.
BobF
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote