Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

16" versus 17" Wheels? Pro's Con's

Hi there..I'm stuck trying to decide between 16 versus 17 " wheel's...
(was going to mount them with 285/17 Nitto Terragraplers), so 33 inch total for the 16 or 34 inch total for the 17...

Advance 4x4 can mount either ...the 17 inch combo ends up being about $200+ more, which is not terrible if they are n advantage later down the road? but if there is no real advantage of using 17 maybe I'll stay with 16..? put the 200+ saved in the" penthouse top" piggy bank ...

Also if I use 16 inch..can I keep my current spare (stock ford tire/wheel) and only buy 4 wheels/tires?

THANKS!!!

Whistler40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: 16" versus 17" Wheels? Pro's Con's

17" rims will permit you a front axle brake upgrade (larger rotors) in the future if you think you may want to go that route. Downside is, last I checked (it has been a while), there were fewer tire choices for 17" vice 16", and the tires where quite a bit more expensive. Rumor has it 17" are much harder to come by in Mexico, if you plans any excursions down there.

Herb
Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

Just my opinion mind you , but the more 'spider' looking your wheels are the less strength they have.
I feel many of these 'designer' wheels don't have the strength they need for an at GVW and beyond SMB.
As you guys may know (lol) I'm sensitive to weight on these rigs. And wheel strength also.
In part due to a bad accident I had in my previous van.
Probably the wheels staying together would not of changed the outcome, but the wheels did blow of my vehicle!
IMO purchase the best forged wheels you can. Not cast.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

If you go with 285/70 17 vs 285/75 16 you have less rubber between you and rocks.

Pretty good selection of tires in 16, E load rated. I got 16 because I figured if I ever did a brake upgrade, it wouldn't be a larger diameter, just better rotors and pads. Getting my Mojaves and BFGs mounted tomorrow morning.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
IMO purchase the best forged wheels you can. Not cast.
Going forged is no guarantee they won't break.

This was my rear inner driver-side Alcoa forged wheel, which I suspect broke my trip to Michigan mid-May. When I got back, I noticed a squeak from the rear tires. I took it in because I though I had a tread separation. Turned out to be a full-circle fracture on the Alcoa, which spidered out to some of the holes.

I think I was slightly over the 2500# rating of the wheels (van is a dually) and there are some really bad roads in the midwest. I think it was a really hard pothole impact that initiated the crack. And since it's aluminum, it just kept going. Luckily, it's a dually, so the outer wheel kept it captive.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Dang, I never even imagined a wheel blowin off ...makes me wanna go check our current wheels right now...

Our Van will be 4x4 and Penthouse, but no SMB convert...just filling her with bicycles inside and a moto on the hitch, so I guess we won't be getting close to the 10000lbs seen on your guys rigs...

I was gonna get Mojave rims, they appear pretty sturdy...and seem to be the rim of choice for many
Whistler40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler40
I was gonna get Mojave rims, they appear pretty sturdy...and seem to be the rim of choice for many
It's the standard SMB offering is why you see so many. Kind of the reason behind going with something else for me. I did go to 17s too, and it was because of the potential for a brake upgrade- not that I'm planning anything, but it was tough for me to change rims and tires at the same time- even though I'll probably do cryo slotted or something when I do it, I know the extra space is there and I don't ever again have to feel stuck with the 16s.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I have an '08 so the choice is moot. However, if I had an '07 or older and didn't want the option of upgrading the brakes, I would stick with the 16's for sure, for all the reasons stated above: Taller sidewall, better selection, and better chance of finding a 16" tire in out of the way places. Cheaper too...
Bill
Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

How come the choice is moot with an '08? Do they have the upgraded brakes??
Old 07-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb

Going forged is no guarantee they won't break.

This was my rear inner driver-side Alcoa forged wheel, which I suspect broke my trip to Michigan mid-May. When I got back, I noticed a squeak from the rear tires. I took it in because I though I had a tread separation. Turned out to be a full-circle fracture on the Alcoa, which spidered out to some of the holes.

I think I was slightly over the 2500# rating of the wheels (van is a dually) and there are some really bad roads in the midwest. I think it was a really hard pothole impact that initiated the crack. And since it's aluminum, it just kept going. Luckily, it's a dually, so the outer wheel kept it captive.
So, what's the GCWR of your van again? I'm sorry, but that wheel has gross negligence written all over it.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote