Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #1

1990 e350 pathfinder 4x4 needs some new wheels

I have a new to me 1990 e350 4x4 and the tires rub on the leaf springs when turning. I plan on keeping the 33" tire size down the road, current tires are old though. Anyways Im wondering if anyone here can shed some light onto what offset I should be looking at for the Ford. Im new to the platform, coming from the yota world. Thinking Ill end up with a simple steel wheel either 15", 16" or 17". The aluminum wheels that are on it are 16.5" and Im not sure if they were put on for aesthetics from the 90's or maybe in conjuncture to fit the brakes?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3387.jpg  

Jasonred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #2

Not sure how different the previous gen E-series are, but on the current generation E-series (92 and up) UJoint Offroad recommends 17" wheels with 4.5" backspacing (somewhere around 0mm offset depending on rim width). I think the 17" diameter is for brake clearance as you stated, but the brake size seems to differ depending on what front axle you're running.

Seems like the "cheap" wheels everyone runs is the Pro Comp 69 Vintage, which comes in both a 8 on 6.5" and 8 on 170mm bolt pattern.

https://www.procompusa.com/products/...-alloy-wheels/

Badass van, by the way! Love that body style. Part of me wishes I could keep the OEM alloy wheels on my van, but that would require converting the front hubs back to the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Not sure how different the previous gen E-series are, but on the current generation E-series (92 and up) UJoint Offroad recommends 17" wheels with 4.5" backspacing (somewhere around 0mm offset depending on rim width). I think the 17" diameter is for brake clearance as you stated, but the brake size seems to differ depending on what front axle you're running.

Seems like the "cheap" wheels everyone runs is the Pro Comp 69 Vintage, which comes in both a 8 on 6.5" and 8 on 170mm bolt pattern.

https://www.procompusa.com/products/...-alloy-wheels/

Badass van, by the way! Love that body style. Part of me wishes I could keep the OEM alloy wheels on my van, but that would require converting the front hubs back to the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern.
Thanks for that info.
Going to start casually looking for something in a 17" that has a bit more of a 70's/80's oem feel to it.Those wheels you linked are budget friendly though.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #4

I was eyeing these 17" slotted mags for my dad's truck (I bought him 16.5" slotted mags for it 20+ years ago, tire selection sucks now) They may not have an OEM look, but they definitely have a period correct (70's/80's) look:

https://www.jegs.com/i/MHT/608/U1011...SABEgKa9PD_BwE
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I was eyeing these 17" slotted mags for my dad's truck (I bought him 16.5" slotted mags for it 20+ years ago, tire selection sucks now) They may not have an OEM look, but they definitely have a period correct (70's/80's) look:

https://www.jegs.com/i/MHT/608/U1011...SABEgKa9PD_BwE
Ooooh yeah that would float the boat.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:53 AM   #6

Before you go wheel shopping, you might experiment with a pair of used / inexpensive wheel spacers, until you find the offset you need to clear the front leafs. I did this with my Suzuki Samurai, and it worked out great.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Before you go wheel shopping, you might experiment with a pair of used / inexpensive wheel spacers, until you find the offset you need to clear the front leafs. I did this with my Suzuki Samurai, and it worked out great.
That’s what I was thinking. The slots are nice but those will have to wait till some mechanical issues are sorted.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I was just going to suggest the exact trial. Use spacers, in your drive way turn the steering stop to stop this can be done with washers stacked as well. Just enough for 4 or five lugs. 16.5 were pretty much standard for 3/4 ton and up. I.d start with 17's.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote