Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

4.30 R & P?

Hi All:

I've been following the 4.10 / 4.56 thread posted recently with great interest as I am getting to the point where I need to make a choice on gearing myself. Is anyone using 4.30's? I'll be going with 33" tires on a a lightly loaded 4X4 E350 with the 5.4 V8. The van has a 3.73 diff from the factory and I'll be putting a Dana 60 under the front.

I'm looking for tips from anyone as to if changing to 4.10 is worth it, or should I go with 4.30 or 4.56. I will be doing a lot of freeway miles so MPG is more important than a really low ratio for rock crawling.

Thanks for your comments,
Andy

Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Re: 4.30 R & P?

I'm not 4X4 with 5.4L and 33s. Not having a problem pulling the big hill out of Bishop to Mammoth Lakes loaded with light dirtbike trailer and camping gear. Getting about 12 - 14 mpg on the highway. Have not noted RPM on the highway.

4.30 might be the way to go with the extra weight of 4X4 and light load you speak of.
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

Andy,

I've got the 6.0 PSD, so this isn't going to help you directly. However...

At 65 mph with the standard Nitto Terra Grapplers (which measure about 34") and the standard 4.10, the RPM is just under 2000. In the case of the PSD, it seems to really be in it's element at about 2200 RPM. So, although I haven't done the math, I would actually prefer 4.56. I think that would have put the PSD right where it wants to be.

Not sure what RPM your motor runs best at, but if you know, do the math to be at that RPM at the speed you intend to drive when the transmission is in overdrive. You won't regret it.

Eric
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #4

Leaddoggy/Eric:

Thanks to you both for the input.

I just recently purchased the van and have not had chance to check RPM's against a GPS at freeway speed. Anyone know what the sweetspot is for the 5.4V8 on the freeway? I'm guessing about 2200 at 70-75mph?

I'm planning on having Truetracs installed front and back and want to get the R & P's done at the same time if a ratio change is necessary.

Andy
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #5

I would go with 4.10s. I've got a 5.4l 4x4 EB w/ 4.56s and 33" tires, and my rpm's are at 2200 ( in overdrive, which is the max tourqe for a 5.4l) @ 60 mph! w/ 4.10's that speed should get up to 68mph, a far more comfortable highway speed, and rpm. IMO.. Luke
campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #6

4.30 R & P?

Andy,

Off topic: If you are referring to Detroit Tru-track front and rear, you may be disappointed to find out it won't work in the rear axle.

When SMB opened up my rear axle they discovered it wasn't compatible. So, I've got the Detroit in the front and Ford LS in the rear.

Heber at SMB West would be able to rattle off the details. If I can find his email, I'll post the reason it wouldn't work in mine.

Edit: Here is the answer from Heber:

"Hello Eric I was having our gear shop start on the rear axle upgrade when they ran into a problem , the axle shafts are 35 spline but they are c clip in the van, and the tru trac L/S is not available for the c clip axle. My
contact their apologized they had ordered the carrier and found the problem, called the manufacturer thinking the sent the wrong part and were advised there is not one available."
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #7

Are you installing a Sterling 10.5" rear axle? Cause that's the only way to get 4.30's.

I would recommend 4.56's for the 5.4, even with 33's.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #8

If you have a Full Floating axle then a TrueTrac is okay. If you have the lighter duty Semi Float rear then no TrueTrac. I am running 4.88s and TrueTracs front and rear with a 5.4 and 37" tires. This is all ready to go with a Ujoint conversion to go under in the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Andy,

Off topic: If you are referring to Detroit Tru-track front and rear, you may be disappointed to find out it won't work in the rear axle.

When SMB opened up my rear axle they discovered it wasn't compatible. So, I've got the Detroit in the front and Ford LS in the rear.

Heber at SMB West would be able to rattle off the details. If I can find his email, I'll post the reason it wouldn't work in mine.

Edit: Here is the answer from Heber:

"Hello Eric I was having our gear shop start on the rear axle upgrade when they ran into a problem , the axle shafts are 35 spline but they are c clip in the van, and the tru trac L/S is not available for the c clip axle. My
contact their apologized they had ordered the carrier and found the problem, called the manufacturer thinking the sent the wrong part and were advised there is not one available."
Old 07-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great info. Seems like I may have to rethink the Trutrac and 4.30 R & P.

Time to do more research....

Andy