Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #1

4X4 Conversion Part II

As many know I got a Quigley a couple of years ago:

Stock 2001 E250 Quigley, Dana 44 front, Semi float 10.5 rear, 5.4l Auto.

I then started to do some work:

Added the Contempo Style top, 265/70-16 Cooper STT tires.

Then like me it got a little overhang in front:

Then due to the added weight its undercarrage started to show some weakness (also like me) so stronger parts were called for. After looking around I started speaking to Chris at UJoint Offroad and after some searching I found a Dana 60 front out of a 99 F550 (15in Rotors!) and a rear Full Float 10.5 out of a 05 F350.

After finding out that even 18in Alloy wheels would not clear the front rotors I had to go to 20in rims. So went with a 8in lift and 37/13.5-20 E rated Kuhmo KL71 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels (20x10) that I powdercoated Black (gloss) and balanced with Dynabeads:

I rebuilt the Axles with new ujoints, ball joints, Unit Bearings, seals, Detroit TrueTrac's, new 4.88 R&P, Carrier Bearings, Drilled and Slotted Rotors from R1 Concepts, Premium brake pads from Napa, Braided Steel brake lines (DOT approved)from UJOR, and a set of Selectro Locking hubs (big knobs for arthritic hands) to hold it all in. I also added a High Steerkit (UJOR Sourced) and flipped the tie rod (Aluminum from TMR),Oh and I filled them with Amsoil.

I trimed the factory drag link mount but left a steering stabilizer mount incase I decide I need one later:

I then was playing the waiting game for all the parts to get here from UJOR. After a couple of calls (not Chris's fault I was impatient) everything started to arrive and I made time with my Welder.

I started at the rearand that was pretty easy as it all bolts in:

Only trouble has been that my 5150 shocks were to short (8.5in travel) and I needed longer ones (12in travel) so those had to wait. Oh and I need to change my pinion angle.

My front install is not per Chris's instructions as I have some strange mounts welded in for the Plow so I ended up welding in his front mounts after triming to clear everthing:

Somthing I found that we had not figured is that the F550 spring perch is not different than the F350 so my front springs are to low and it leans to the front. Chris and I had talked about it and we thought I was giong to need 6in front and 8in rear springs but this is not the case. I have leveled it for now but I will order new springs after winter goes by as it is exactly 2in different front to rear. Here is a pic prior to leveling it:

Bigger rotors and calipers mean faster stops:

I also switched to Hydroboost Brakes using parts for a 05 E450 including the Mastercylinder as it also used the big rotors. I used fittings from Tallon Hydraulics to adapt and had to change the 2 brake lines from the MC to the ABS unit.

I did not have to do some things when I converted like adding a Transfer case as I started with a Quigley. I like the set back Transfercase as it means my front driveshaft could be longer and that means less driveshaft angle.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Re: 4X4 Conversion Part II

Lookin nice! Those rear springs will come down a bit once they worked a bit.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Awsome build !!! will 37's clear the fenders/bumpers ar full flex ?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

WOW! That looks amazing.

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

There is about a 4in deep (at the base) wedge taken out of the bumper. I will take some pics of it later today.

I have about 1,000mi on it after these were taken. I am going to do a 1200mi trip on the 16th/17th including about 350mi of gravel and 100mi of trails.

Oh it is at 9'6" at the highest point right now. So I can cut back on the Drive Thru food!

Still working on the front and rear bumpers and lightbar. Moding the Plowmount is next as Snow is coming fast up here.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #6

With all this lift you will probably clear 46" easy
From Iceland 1993 Ford Econoline 7,3 e4od Dana 60 front and rear 4:10 difs and ARB lokkers 38" summer tyres
Larus is offline   Reply With Quote