Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

4X4 Conversion Road Test

This is kind of a Road Test and Trip Report combined.
If you looked at my post:http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...php?f=3&t=5571 about re-converting my 2001 Quigley using a UJoint kit I stated that I was going on a road trip now that I had some shakedown miles on it. I went on a 1200mi trip checking everything including handling, mileage, braking, and offroad. It was mostly on-asphalt but included one of my favorite "Highways" known as Alaksa Highway 8 or the "Denali Highway" with regular Asphalt Highway to get to it from Anchorage.

I checked all hardware u-bolts, shocks, lug nuts, etc. Also tire pressure. All fluids and hoses for leakage as I had also converted to Hydroboost using a MC and Hydroboost unit for a E450.

I also trimed and re-installed my BedRug to deal with the noise and also insulate the floor as well. I will be pulling that back out when I re-paint the Van in the spring and will Bedline the interior including the walls, but for now it looks okay.

The run up the Parks Highway went pretty well for the first 180mi with the cruise set at 68mph (the "Sweet Spot" before the new gears and tires) and that netted a poor 9.2mpg down from my 12mpg from before. to say it was disapointed was a understatment. I topped up in Cantwell at the Tesoro and had brunch (Cantwell Cafe at the Tesoro makes a good Monte Cristo) and then headed for the "Highway". From the Cantwell side it is only Asphalt for the first 15mi or so then gravel.

Anywhere there is a warning like this can't be all bad:

Speed limit is 50mph and the van did well at that:

Found some trails to have fun with while looking for Caribou (did not find any):

Detroit TrueTrack's worked good on the frozen ground:

Suspension works well too Chris:

That is a 3' almost vertical drop.

After driving for another 70mi I found the Caribou:

All the white dots are Caribou as well. This was a Herd of about 150:

While crossing the 150mi of the Denali hwy the MPG went up to 11 even with the gravel and rough road.

After topping up and heading out down the Richardson Highway from Paxon to Glenallen (about 78mi)I tried setting the cruise at 57mph the MPG went up to 12.5, so I was getting closer. I got distracted and did not check from Glenallen to Valdez to Glenallen but the Van handles well on the Road as well. Got back in the game and topped up in Glenallen and checked on the run in from there to Anchorage. Mileage went UP! Got 14.8 mpg on that 180mi leg running Chevron regular unleaded 87 oct cruise set at 60mph.

Overall had a good time with Family (my 18yr old Son and 12yr old Daughter, Wife stayed home) and everyone had a blast.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

Re: 4X4 Conversion Road Test

Is this a diesel or gas van?
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #3

5.4 gas
Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

Looks great! Glad the "shakedown" trip went well & everything is good.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote