Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #21

Re: 4x4 conversion survey- who did it and why choose them

Quote:
Originally Posted by colokiter
So I've had 2 SMB Quigley vans, one was a 2002 and the second was a 2008 (sold new in 2010). Overall, ok for highway non off-road use. Actually, I sold both vans within a year of ownership because I was so disappointed overall with the drive ability of each. Very short wheel travel, uncomfortable over 65 mph, harsh ride. I was ready to give up vans all together but before I did I spoke (heavily) to Chris at Ujoint -he's a great guy, very personable, and always attentive to my inquiries. I was still hesitant to dive in again because of the first 2 vans, but decided to fly to NC to check out Chris's shop and test drive one of his vans. As it turns out, I test drove 3 different Ujoint creations and was blown away how well they all drive. Comfortable ride, great handling, and very easy to drive. I was so impressed, 30 min later I drove to the local Ford dealership and order a new van for Chris to build. Since picking up the van in September, I've probably called Chris a dozen times to tell him how great his work is and how much I absolutely love this van. Great ride, excellent handling, awesome on the highway, and very comfortable off road. Hands down I can absolutely recommend Ujoint!
Thanks for the kind words!

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #22

I have a quigley. Live in the northeast and they coordinated the work/delivery, etc. with SMB north. No complaints in a year of driving. No mechanical problems; good performance (though I don't take it very seriously off road like others) and overall satisfaction with the work, ride, etc. Others who off road seriously seem to have real valid reasons for other choices but I ca. Say my quigley has served me well for hauling my trailer and making me feel safe on pavement and modest off road driving.
travelguy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
4x4 conversion survey- who did it and why choose them

Right, I guess I was thinking that I would have to buy 5 new wheels/tires and would have to deal with a new spacer in back that I had made to 8X6.5 not something I feel I want to spend money on, anyway, this thread has gotten off topic a bit, sorry....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Just got our new SMB from Indiana. I was so up in the air as who to go with. I did A LOT OF RESEARCH and . I went with Quadvan for many reasons...and I am so happy with that decision. Quigley's MGR was a good dude. John at Quadvan was a good dude too. I felt very connected to John and what he did for conversion and more importantly, didn't do...We even went with the shift on the fly acces. b/c my wife can just turn a switch (good luck getting that at other places)Quadvan even has a drop ship number from Ford, as his conversion practice (I am sure other do too, but just wanted to mention) Have 1000 mi. on it and bump stop, sway etc..(as you will read about different side affects) has NOT been an issue as other 4x4 converters have talked about...we are so delighted! and these days, happiness with the biz flks are few and far between...hope that all helps
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #25

CTB - Did you have Jim and Nancy do all the interior work first, and THEN have the 4x4 work done at QuadVan, or did you have have the 4x4 in place to start? - Rusty
Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 AM   #26
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

We ordered/bought the van through Nancy & Crain Ford (the local Ford dealer, bought in June '13 but didn't pay until we closed Feb '14 + $3000 Ford rebate taken off bill). When it was built/finished at Ford, they shipped it to Oregon to John at Quadvan. John did the 4x4 work, shift on the fly etc, bumpers, flairs, Pico fogs, airbags, and steps/ladder (no sales tax in Oregon as john pointed out…)When John finished, he shipped it back to Indy to have Jim's ccrew finish it. Chad was our builder and did a superior job. Neat and tight, and made a few "executive" decisions about storage and the like, through experience with many other builds. We left them alone and let Nanacy call us when it was about finished…GREAT experience! You'll have to ship it SOMEWHERE to get the 4x4 done, so might as well pick one you find has the best review for your needs.

Funny side note…When we first went to see the operation in Indy and see a few builds done and in the process of being built,and to really decide if this is what we wanted to do (they are a lot of money) we didn't know much more about 4x4 installers than the pictures and labels on the "Forum." We thought Quadvan b/c SMB was SO beefy, we didn't think we would ever be putting ourselves in that type of 4x4 need, but there, they had a Quigley. We told Nancy go with Quigley b/c we thought looked great, 4x4 is 4x4 right?!…well, after a lot more research and starting a post asking Quadvan vs. Quigley, I soon learned (in MY opinion) that all 4x4 builders are NOT alike. Unfortunately, I changed my mind and it was too late to change destination from the Ford factory. It went to Quigley and sat for about 3 weeks until they got it on a truck to go west to Quadvan. I sure am happy, and have been driving and not experiencing bump-stop problems, roll, etc that a lot others complain about…SMOOTH! Good luck with whatever you decide…my wife and I giggle like little kids when we drive it…it is SO D@$! COOL!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #27

I bought a used 2010 Quigley with very low milage and a partial interior conversion. Needless to say I got a good price. I hated the Quigley suspension. Since I had been looking for years and getting educated by John at QuadVan, I stopped by and had a chat with John. He agreed to upgrade the suspension to QuadVan since the 2010 Quigley used all ford parts (like QuadVan) for the drive train. I now have the worlds only Quadley :-) The suspension is far better than the stock Quigley (dual Bilsteins up front and singles out back, longer swing arms and graduated density frame stops). I no longer chatter my teeth when go over railroad crossings or smallbumps in the road. That said, serious high speed on deeply potted roads is not this suspensions specialty. It handles washboard, but don't expect to hit 6 inch curbs at 40 miles an hour and not have your teeth rattle.

Added bonus, I carry a motorcycle on a carrier on the back hitch. I've installed air bags for when the motorcycle is loaded. After pumping up and re-leveling the van I end up with an extra inch of travel on the front end!

The interior is full custom. I wanted an interior that I could convert from halling to comfort. I can now load a motorcycle in the rear, a motorcycle on the back carrier, head of for a couple of weeks and boon dock it. Unload the motorbikes, re-configure the inside for bench tops and seating and I have all the comforts of home.

I have one solarpanel (and a second one on the way) with 150Ah deep cycle batteries mounted in the battery frame boxes under the bay doors. I used the sticky back flexible solar panels from UniSolar. This makes for a super easy installation. The 68 watt units fit perfectly on my SMB pop top

Bottom line, Quadvan has a great ride for getting to/from your off road. You will still have to take it easy on the rough stuff once you have got there but nothing will stop you :-)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #28

I have only had experience with Quigley directly, Ford dealers and Ujoint.

I think that every person has such different ideas or needs that you really have to decide what you want before going with a specific outfit.

If you are looking for a more beefy build that is going to get out and be abused I would have to say I would go with Ujoint hands down. The downsides are working with him from a distance unless you are local. You will have to be patient too but the results tend to be undeniable beast wagons. I know I will get some flack for this but I have not personally seen any builds from Quadvan, sportsmobile or others that have the off road capacity as Ujoint rigs.

Just my .02$
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #29

I went with Quigley, because it popped up cheap on CL. If you a shopping for a bargain on a used van, you will more than likely end up with a Quigley too, but there are exceptions as more and more vans are being converted by different folks. The Agile Offroad RIP improvements help alot, and I haven't even really been off road YET.
If you are shopping for a new conversion, I would strongly recommend UJoint, Agile or Quadvan based on all my reading here, and personally I would probably go with whoever I was closer to. SMB West and Agile in Southern CA. Quadvan in the PNW, and Ujoint east of the Mississippi. That's the way I think of it anyway.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote