Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on the importance of having the 4x4 conversion for winter driving as well as how much it cost. I'm not sure I can afford a good van, and the 4x4 so I may need to prioritize. Would you rather have a low mileage van with a nicer build? Or a higher mileage cheaper build but with 4x4 capabilities?

Thanks, Max
!st you need to prioritize! 1)Where do you live 2) What is the main purpose of the van 3) What do you like most doing with the van?
If you live in mild to heavy snow country, yes convert. If you just want to do dirt roads and stay in an RV park or dry camps, no don't convert, spend the money on upgrades. If you like getting to locations where you will not be bothered and want piece of mind getting back, yes convert. Winches are great I have one on every 4x4 I own and two on my rock crawler front and back! They are great till you over work them or you have no anchor to use. If you do go 2x4 and a winch make sure you get a 15,000 lbs rating or more . the van will be dead weight and you will use its peak rating more with a 2wd than 4wd.
The conversion, if you are fabrication knowledgeable and have all the applicable tools, you will save doing it yourself. I did! Lucky for you, all is available in a kit. i spent alot of time running parts down 16 years ago. I rounded everything up, measured everything twice, or more. I purchased a Dana Hi pinion 60 from a rear ended F-350. I had a 1356 t case but bought a 271 which I never used. I made all my links, my axle brackets, my links, and pan hard bar brackets, tie rod ends, heims, ect. I dbl walled dom links, found a drop pitman arm in my parts bin. I dry fit it all over a few weeks. Then it happened! I broke my bent I beam! I was stuck! Although I had several vehicles and my own dump truck I drove to work dailey, my van was my baby! It took a 3 day weekend to do the 4x4 AXLE conversion. I did the trans conversion latter that year.I had $4000.00 in parts give or take 300.00 but it was 16 years ago when I was really cheap!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #22

Foot note: my year vans abs lines were female to male connectors. The axle had the same but reversed. I bought the correct connector ends from Ford and crimped and soldered on the new ones! Believe it or not that was the most time challenging item to me. looking for the clips and Ford had them!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Foot note: my year vans abs lines were female to male connectors. The axle had the same but reversed. I bought the correct connector ends from Ford and crimped and soldered on the new ones! Believe it or not that was the most time challenging item to me. looking for the clips and Ford had them!
I did that too.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #24

So, just to be clear, as an active seeker for my first campervan, you are saying that I do not need a 4x4 for off road boondocking and winter traveling? The wait seems to be 6 months to a yr for 4x4 van, and that's without the conversion. But theyre in such high demand I thought the investment would be worth waiting for. That being said, Ive already missed the summer traveling and itching to get on the road. Being a solo female, Im wanting the safest vehicle, easy to handle, and all the comforts. Dream vehicle- sprinter, 4x4, 144, RB, pop top. Recently looked at the Winnebago Revel 4x4. Pretty nice but no pop top, and no area for sleeping guests.
rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolorun View Post
So, just to be clear, as an active seeker for my first campervan, you are saying that I do not need a 4x4 for off road boondocking and winter traveling? The wait seems to be 6 months to a yr for 4x4 van, and that's without the conversion. But theyre in such high demand I thought the investment would be worth waiting for. That being said, Ive already missed the summer traveling and itching to get on the road. Being a solo female, Im wanting the safest vehicle, easy to handle, and all the comforts. Dream vehicle- sprinter, 4x4, 144, RB, pop top. Recently looked at the Winnebago Revel 4x4. Pretty nice but no pop top, and no area for sleeping guests.
It really comes down to what your budget is. There are road ready, 4x4, full conversions for sale all over the place. There isn't much depreciation going on with these rigs because people know it will take upwards to a year and a half to get one built new. If you have $100k to spend, then you can pick from a lot. If you have $30k to spend, then it might (will) take you a lot longer to find one that fits your budget and preference. For me personally, I would get 4x4 even if you don't plan to go rock crawling. It sounds like you will be doing winter traveling so it would benefit you depending on where you plan to go. The 4x4 conversions hold their value extremely well so if you ever decide to sell, the value will still be there.

When it comes to the most reliable, I would suspect it would be a Ford platform with the 5.4 motor. They're EVERYWHERE so parts are easy to come by and most auto parts stores stock everything for them. Some will say get a 7.3 powerstroke diesel motor.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
As someone who builds 4X4 vans on a daily basis as my primary job, allow me to give you one piece of advice.
Please find the cleanest, lowest mileage rig that best fits your needs.

It's the foundation of your build.
good advice
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #27

My 2 cents is that if you live in an area that gets snow or plan on traveling frequently to areas with snow, particularly those that have steep grades (those often go together of course) then 4x4 or AWD is a must. I can't imagine taking my family over some of the passes we have here in the winter without it. The back just wants to push out pretty quickly once the grade gets steep. 4x4 turns a couple of hours of white knuckling it into mostly a non event. I will admit that I have an aversion to putting on chains so that could potentially be solution for the rear end slide but having the front tires pull you in the direction you want to go is a big help.

Don't sleep on the GM AWD vans (Express and Savana) in your searches. Great powertrains and fantastic in the nasty winter stuff.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
It really comes down to what your budget is. There are road ready, 4x4, full conversions for sale all over the place. There isn't much depreciation going on with these rigs because people know it will take upwards to a year and a half to get one built new. If you have $100k to spend, then you can pick from a lot. If you have $30k to spend, then it might (will) take you a lot longer to find one that fits your budget and preference. For me personally, I would get 4x4 even if you don't plan to go rock crawling. It sounds like you will be doing winter traveling so it would benefit you depending on where you plan to go. The 4x4 conversions hold their value extremely well so if you ever decide to sell, the value will still be there.

When it comes to the most reliable, I would suspect it would be a Ford platform with the 5.4 motor. They're EVERYWHERE so parts are easy to come by and most auto parts stores stock everything for them. Some will say get a 7.3 powerstroke diesel motor.
If, as you mention, "There are road ready, 4x4, full conversions for sale all over the place," I cant seem to find one. Ive got the budget to get what Im looking for, I just cant find it. Maybe the forum can help! I do have strict requirements bc of my HOA but Im putting it out there. Low mileage, very clean, Sprinter or similar with 144 WB, less than 20' length. 4x4. LOW roof (I will be adding a pop top). I will be living in for months at a time so I need a full conversion w/ all amenities. Thanks!
rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #29

Quote:
If, as you mention, "There are road ready, 4x4, full conversions for sale all over the place," I cant seem to find one. Ive got the budget to get what Im looking for, I just cant find it. Maybe the forum can help! I do have strict requirements bc of my HOA but Im putting it out there. Low mileage, very clean, Sprinter or similar with 144 WB, less than 20' length. 4x4. LOW roof (I will be adding a pop top). I will be living in for months at a time so I need a full conversion w/ all amenities. Thanks!
What's your budget?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #30

Quote:

What about this:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-22039.html

The build out isn't huge, but it has a fridge, micro etc. and you can sleep below to stealth camp.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote