Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #11

Garage
Have you had your Van weighed? If you have excessive weight in rear this can exasperate the FE handling going over bumps (especially at higher speed), may also find you have to compensate because one side is heavier than the other. If the rear leaf packs are shot you'll experience excessive bounce that can hinder your FE tracking. To Lilnuts point, you should know the Van weight so you can choose tires that are up to the task (Load rating).
I'd bring it to a reputable 4x4 shop in your area capable of providing some insight on the condition of all the steering/suspension components. They should be able to narrow down the field of opportunities.
Both You and your wife will enjoy the rig a whole lot more when you resolve this dilemma.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #12

.....Since no one has asked yet......

Do you have coil springs or leaf springs up front?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
.....Since no one has asked yet......

Do you have coil springs or leaf springs up front?

Coil springs
Angler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #14

Garage
Weldtec Designs is getting specifically built Fox shocks for vans I believe.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #15

Stole the link below from another forum, so hope this works.

From your explanation, and if ball joints aren’t the problem. What you are expecting is quite common with 4x4 coil sprung conversions. Usually comes from bad track bar, or control arms. Getting the track bar at a decent angle, and working with fixed axle with the van frame has given many 4x4 conversion companies huge problems over time. So it’s very common for the bushing in these these to ware out prematurely, or start cracking the mount / frame. I would look at the track bar in great detail for any signs of concern. Next would be control arms, again check bushing but not necessarily for cracks. Every conversion company has had their fair share of problems over the years, so if you can post some detailed pics it might help the forum give you some more pinpointed replies / things to look for.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #16

Here are some pics if it helps anyone with suggestions on diagnosing the problem.

They are also in a photo album under my profile if they are easier to look at there.

Thanks for everyone's responses so far!
Old 03-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #17

Also, sorry these came out so small. I am not sure what I did other than re-size them to 800x800. I can see if I can make them larger if it helps.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #18

Link to album:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...lbums1508.html
Old 03-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #19

Is it a hard jerk and/or a large jump? Or just that it takes some correction? It's a lifted solid axle vehicle, it's not going to drive like an IFS car or SUV.

Could do the quick steering wheel wiggle test - have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while parked on pavement and see what (if anything) moves.

I am also pretty sure the Timberline 4 link arms are adjustable, take a look at caster too.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Is it a hard jerk and/or a large jump? Or just that it takes some correction? It's a lifted solid axle vehicle, it's not going to drive like an IFS car or SUV.

Could do the quick steering wheel wiggle test - have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while parked on pavement and see what (if anything) moves.

I am also pretty sure the Timberline 4 link arms are adjustable, take a look at caster too.
Not a hard jerk, just like a feeling of disconnection from the road while it veers left or right. At the same time, there seems to be a a slight delay in turning the steering wheel to correct the new course of the car into the proper lane. You can feel this steering delay on smooth roads as well.

I know it will never ride like a Mercedes sedan, but I can barely keep it in the proper lane of traffic even at 45 mph if I hit a pothole or unevenness in the road.