Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Caution on this please. There is not much in the way of adjustment that will not cause accelerated wear on a box that is already showing slop.
Technically, there is no external backlash adjustment in the Eseries steering box at all. All of the tolerance between the "ball screw" and the "nut" assembly is determined by the fit of the ball bearings between the nut and screw.

The "pre-load" adjustment on the sector shaft shouldn't be used as a method of tightening a steering gear. There is a procedure for setting it properly and that's it. There's no bringing a loose steering gear back to life with this setting.

Companies that build steering gears will use ball bearings that are slightly tighter tolerance than the factory bearings, creating a tighter fit between the ball screw and the nut. There are also things they can do to improve fluid flow and in some cases they machine the housing to accept larger sector shaft bearings but that's about it. The Eseries steering box is not a weak unit but once it starts to deteriorate (get a little sloppy), replace it.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #32

Tire pressure does make a huge difference in driving. Have you weighed the van, both front and rear axles? Mine is a V-10 and weighs 4,000 on the front and rear both. I find that 52 psi works quite well. It's a Quigley 2008. I have driven it as fast as 100mph and regularly drive 75 or more with no problems. BFG AT KO 265/70-17 tires.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler99 View Post
No, I had driven the vehicle for a test drive around the neighborhood before I took it to the mechanic to mostly check out the engine, but did mention I thought it drove a bit sketchy. He sort of mentioned that it's a big van with wide tires so they don't drive like a stock truck, but I don't think he went and drove it on the freeway to see what I meant about the ride quality.
If your Conversion was done correctly it shoudl drive Much Much Better than Stock. Put up some pics so we can all see it.. Sounds like you have bad Shock to Spring Rate setup. Among other things. Pic will help.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #34

And yes. your Tire Pressure is Way to Low on Road. You really should be up around 60 to 70 depending on your tires and the Rigs weight... What are you ruining for Tires? Your Low PSI is Causing that disconnected feeling on the Highway. Also what does your Rig Weigh Empty. If you have not yet take it to a scale to get its Empty Weight.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Technically, there is no external backlash adjustment in the Eseries steering box at all. All of the tolerance between the "ball screw" and the "nut" assembly is determined by the fit of the ball bearings between the nut and screw.

The "pre-load" adjustment on the sector shaft shouldn't be used as a method of tightening a steering gear. There is a procedure for setting it properly and that's it. There's no bringing a loose steering gear back to life with this setting.

Companies that build steering gears will use ball bearings that are slightly tighter tolerance than the factory bearings, creating a tighter fit between the ball screw and the nut. There are also things they can do to improve fluid flow and in some cases they machine the housing to accept larger sector shaft bearings but that's about it. The Eseries steering box is not a weak unit but once it starts to deteriorate (get a little sloppy), replace it.
@mgmetalworks: Did you mean tighter "tolerance" or tighter "clearance"?
Old 03-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerider View Post
@mgmetalworks: Did you mean tighter "tolerance" or tighter "clearance"?
Well... there's actually two things going on so to clarify, the "upgraded" ball bearings are of better quality (less ball to ball variability, tighter tolerance, more precision) and they are tighter clearance (meaning larger diameter, less slop).
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #37

I don't think it's a tire pressure issue. I have messed with road tire pressure from 45 all the way up to 75psi and everything in between. I will get it weighed at some point.
Angler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #38

The guy I bought the van from used the Timberline conversion kit. I talked to Tim at Timberline and he thinks it was installed improperly. Timberline is going to check it out for me and see what they can come up with. Thanks for all the responses so far. I am pretty excited to get it to an expert that does 50 vans a year or so to see what he thinks. Hopefully, it's not too expensive to get solved, but we will wait and see.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #39

So we finally have figured out the culprit. The right front cv axle u-joint had completely froze and all the adjacent joints were under tremendous pressure and wore out. Luckily, the steering box seems to be ok.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:19 AM   #40

Steering knuckle u-joint

I've had same exact thing happen to me last year, can be pretty scary. It was a mystery for the longest time because all my suspension parts were new and tight. The u joint do not spin during normal driving unless using 4 wheel drive. Found. F350 truck video of a guy showing how to diagnose the problem he also said many shops will miss it as well and throw parts at it steering boxes etc. My steering wheel would be stuck slightly one side or the other as if my alignment was off after making a turn onto the road, that was the u-joint being bound up after the turn you could hold it straight and then once you hit a bump or slightly turn the other way The binding would free itself and whip the van in the opposite direction. Had both u-joints replaced problem solved.
GulfDiver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote