Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #11

Re: 4x4 locking hubs and Salem Kroger 4x4 repair advice

I do have to pull a tire. The previous owner put those stupid plastic hub covers on! To match aluminum rims

4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #12

Update: I'm getting power to my front end and and it's engaging but now I feel as if it's binding up inside the trans! Lots of sideways play in shifter. Also think the rubber is shot. Anyone know rough price I might have to pay to get my 4x4 trans opened up inspected and repaired?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kayaker
Update: I'm getting power to my front end and and it's engaging but now I feel as if it's binding up inside the trans! Lots of sideways play in shifter. Also think the rubber is shot. Anyone know rough price I might have to pay to get my 4x4 trans opened up inspected and repaired?
Have you checked the oil level in the Transfer Case?

I'm nor sure about repair costs, but B&R quoted me $400 for a NV 273 T-case with controller. A 271 should run a little less.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #14

Take a look where the transfer case shift lever is bolted on.
It should be bolted to the side of the trans. Maybe it's loose
there and that's why you're having trouble engaging 4x4.
Also check the linkage ends and see if they are worn out.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

UPDATE: I now know my problem is isolated to my 4x4transfer case. I do have manual capable locking hubs, also getting power to front and in manual locked mode 4x4 works but it's binding up and not correctly engaging either at all or to and from high and low!

So I either need to open up and repair existing transfer case (got a minium quote for $1500 today) or look at a new bolt on transfer case. Anyone know what one would cost? Or which route to go? Existing transfer case has over 100 000 miles I look forward to your words of wisdom
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kayaker
UPDATE: I now know my problem is isolated to my 4x4transfer case. I do have manual capable locking hubs, also getting power to front and in manual locked mode 4x4 works but it's binding up and not correctly engaging either at all or to and from high and low!

So I either need to open up and repair existing transfer case (got a minium quote for $1500 today) or look at a new bolt on transfer case. Anyone know what one would cost? Or which route to go? Existing transfer case has over 100 000 miles I look forward to your words of wisdom
Before you spend a bunch of money on a new transfer case or rebuild your old one
make sure it isn't just a worn out part in the shifting linkage. 1500 bucks seems a
little steep to me.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #17

Yep linkages from shifter seem ok but have had a lot of use. I'm going to shop around and get a few rebuild quotes. Might as well replace the shifter linkage at same time. Can I look these parts up somewhere online?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #18

I found a good reputable mechanic, I have a front left stuck hub, auto vacuum solenoid has failed needs replacing. The worst part is the transfer case is missing the external gear selected and for 100 000 miles been relying on just internal gearing which I'm told is not correct. He recommends installing one which means pulling gas tank and relocating fuel lines ( the reason it was never installed in first place). I'm awaiting an estimate!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #19

I have an SK conversion from 1996. Each hub on my Dana 44 had a gear installed backwards. It was fine for the first 14.5 years (110K miles) and then it started ratcheting (skipping.) At first, I thought I broke a tooth off the ring and pinion but I didn't inspect it (or care) because I planned on putting a 60 in it.

Then the problem worsened and I suspected a hub. The hubs looked fine! Upon further review, my buddy noticed the gear was in backwards. The little allen bolts loosened up just a bit on the hub itself, and that was all that was needed for the teeth to slide off the end.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #20

Final repair:
I had a completly stripped left hub non operational, got a replacement hub, and also I added a washer to make the shifter linkage tighter. The auto hub switching valve was faulty so replaced that, also pulled transfer case and inspected, replaced mode fork and mode hub and new gasket and seal, increase detent holding. all up $1050.00 Its been working flawless for 2 months in the Cascade mountains for snowboarding base camp!! I searched long and hard for a good shop - the mechanic is a 4x4 nut and has a lifted 4runner.