Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 05:03 AM   #21

Garage
Running Toto MT 35/12.5/17’s...but Van is over 11k lbs. Lowered air down to around 25 (didn’t want to go lower because of the weight). Bought the “Bull Pen” pass, but never made it down that far.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #22

So a follow up to the 4x4 issues:

Short answer: Awesome!

Long answer: Went to Assateague, got the bullpen pass, aired down to 20-23 psi, and warily approached the gate. Came off the gravel hard and didn't let off the accelerator, the van killed it all the way through the soft stuff and anytime I felt a little slow down, punched it and it powered right through. (Pro tip: take all the change out of the little holder on the dash unless you want it raining Presidents.) Was a little afraid to stop so kept charging it all the way down to the bullpen. Then went and pulled up on the softer area on the beach slope, popped the top, and had a swim. All worked perfectly. The hubs locked (and stayed that way), I used the Staun deflators, they were great (set a tad low, need to tweak), van performed flawlessly, the only two issues were that a) I can in fact get mobile service down there so did have a conference call and b) forgot the key to the compressor in the the front bumper, so just used the air stations at the gate.

Will definitely be back. I'd been sweating a little bedplate oil leak, and wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but after this tire-kicking cruise, say why not throw 10-20k at bulletproofing the 6.0? Like Tom Waits said, "Money's just something you throw off the back of a train."
rroberts76 is offline   Reply With Quote