Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

4x4 Not Engaging

Evening,

Relatively new SMB owner. Was getting ready for a beach trip next week and tested 4x4 and ARB front lockers. Locked the hubs, shifted the atlas, but 4x4 didn't feel very engaged. Played around w/ 4H and 4L no change. Finally (newbie) got it to 2H Front as a test and nothing. The "click" on the driver warn hub felt a little light.

I'm going to take it to the shop as soon as I can, but they were the ones who said one hub was installed backwards last time and "fixed" it. So, not sure if there's something I should be looking for or telling them, but I don't want to get into the sand like it is now.

Thanks for any thoughts or prior experience.

Cheers,
Ryan

rroberts76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #2

So, when you put it in 4low and you get "nothing", what exactly are you experiencing? You said you "played around in 4hi and 4 low", do you mean that your drove around, or just shifted the transfer case while sitting still? If the van moved, the same each time, it sounds like the transfer case is not engaged because if you really got it in 4low, you couldn't miss the low gearing when driving. It makes no difference if the front hubs are working because the rear will still have a low gear.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Team

An Atlas can take some fiddling to engage. Just because the shifter moved forward to some extent, doesn't mean it's actually engaged. Not to mention, an Atlas will take "forever" to break in, after which it will become a little easier.

A couple of ideas:

1) Try moving the shifter forward. Then drive forward a few inches and try again. Try again, and then try reversing and trying again.

2) Move the shifter forward, and then lightly apply the gas pedal while continuing to apply gentle pressure to the shifter.

Herb
Old 06-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

Arctic,

I drove around. I could feel the low in the rear. Subsequently, I engaged 4H, drove forward, and the woman confirmed that the forward Cardan shaft was turning. So power is coming out of the Atlas.

I guess it's the axle or hubs but assume there would be some ungodly racket if the axle or diff was torn up. Had a hub issue last time I took it in for service.

Part of me wants to learn how to tear down, inspect, and reinstall the hubs, and maybe just install new Warns, but the part of me that is maintaining the SMB, two boats, three bee hives and three chickens says just take it to the shop.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #5

Thanks Bronc, I'll try that. Definitely have not mastered the art of shifting the Atlas.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Garage
I was also unfamiliar with the Atlas II when I purchased my Van, found this thread helpful (Couple more available on YouTube as well):

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ation-744.html

Old 06-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #7

So, I have zero experience with an Atlas so can't comment on that, but if, as you say, the front drive shaft is turning, how are you determining that the front axle's are not turning too? With all four wheels off the ground, it would be easy to put it in gear and spin them, but otherwise, I suppose it could be hard to tell unless you were in a limited traction situation. If you have some sort of traction aid in the diff, like a locker or limited slip, you would feel a difference in the steering, a limited slip would make the steering a bit harder, and a locker would make it much harder. If the front is open, there would likely be very little difference.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
So, I have zero experience with an Atlas so can't comment on that, but if, as you say, the front drive shaft is turning, how are you determining that the front axle's are not turning too?

Arctic,

The Atlas II has independent shift control for each axle, so you can run in 2 Rear, 2 Front, 4 Hi, and 4 Low. I put the rear axle in neutral, the front axle in H, the tranny in D, with hubs locked, and didn't go anywhere.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroberts76 View Post
Arctic, The Atlas II has independent shift control for each axle, so you can run in 2 Rear, 2 Front, 4 Hi, and 4 Low. I put the rear axle in neutral, the front axle in H, the tranny in D, with hubs locked, and didn't go anywhere.
Well, then it's got to be the hubs, unless something serious broke in the axle which is very unlikely. A new set of Warn premium hubs are not that expensive and easy to install if you can't get your current hubs sorted out.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

Some time ago, the way I figured out I was having hub problems and not the transfer case. I set the parking brake, unlocked the front hubs, disengaged the rear drive, engaged the front drive, put the transmission in drive, stepped out of the van, looked under the van to see if the front drive shaft was turning. Mine was so I figured it was the hubs and not the transfer case, and it was.
This might work for you also.