Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #11

Normal CA AAA policy, they'll give me $1-2k if it drives off, so I'm super careful about how and where I leave it. Alarm and additional cut-outs that should leave a thief, even if they think they are successful stranded. (For obvious reasons, I won't go into detail in public.)

Anything you can do that'll shut the thing down a mile from where it was stolen should go a long way in keeping it from disappearing entirely.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Normal CA AAA policy, they'll give me $1-2k if it drives off, so I'm super careful about how and where I leave it. Alarm and additional cut-outs that should leave a thief, even if they think they are successful stranded. (For obvious reasons, I won't go into detail in public.)

Anything you can do that'll shut the thing down a mile from where it was stolen should go a long way in keeping it from disappearing entirely.
Hey Mad Science you should roll out to our next "starbucks" meet up in Santa Clara on the 17th of this month so we can chat some more
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #13

I suppose I don't have to say where it's wired, or what the interface is to activate it....

All I've done is put a relay wired normally (non-energized) closed across the fuel pump. It can be energized with a timer (search for automotive quality timer circuits, there's plenty out there if you don't want to spin your own) if something isn't cut out once the van is started.

No power draw unless something isn't set right.

I've set the timer super short so that folks wouldn't be able to make it to say a railroad crossing with it (I do think about this when parking), but long enough so that they'd be pulled out of whatever parking spot and be sitting ducks. The hope is that this should compel whoever tries to steal the thing to go with plan b and abort.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote