Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #11

Re: 4x4 wheelchair van camper

Thanks for the info on the Braun lifts.
I was talking with Alan from SMB west and he said they have been using the Rincon lifts lately. Of course Norcal Mobility does the installs for them so I will have to talk with those guys also.

So I am working on selling my FJ Cruiser or taking off the mod's and trading it in on the van and going with a Voyager fixed top and the EB70 layout with removeable captains chair so a wheelchair passenger could be secured there and stay in chair if they wished.

The van will also have Sure Grip hand controls and a 5 camera self spotting system displayed on a laptop that is used for navigation.

Based on discussions with some local chair users I am thinking of not using a Norcold fridge but instead an Engel, ARB or National Luna that can be reached into from the top so someone wouldn't have to bend over to access it.

Any other suggestions on a build that would meet the needs of a wide variety of disabled users?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #12

If you are putting in hand controls then you may want to think about adding a power seat. It makes accessing the driver's seat much easier for driving, and I use mine quite a bit when camping fully rotated to the rear and raised to the level of my wheelchair seat for easy transfers

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #13

You could always mount the Norcold (or similar) higher, like over a portapotti storage. The problem with a top loader is you have to reach over and down to get to the bottom stuff, whereas a high side-door might give you better accessibility all around. Plus combining it with something you keep more floor space.

Speaking of floor space and the porta-potti, I had a friend with a chair and she needed to lay down on the floor and use a cath to use the restroom. You might consider this (being able to have enough floor space available) since it sounds like you want to be inclusive to your travellers.