Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #11

I just returned from Portland and Quadvan. I've been searching for the right conversion and van (and the $$$) for about 3 years. Eddie Percic finally found a van and called me 2 weeks ago.
I flew up and after seeing the Quadvan shop and spending almost an entire day with Eddie I was able to make a very decent deal with Eddie.
In 4 weeks I'll go back and pick up my van. It's 2005 E350 V10 12 pass. with a sliding side door.
The running gear is all 2008 F350 4x4. I'll have front lockers (the rear was already LTD slip), 4 Bilsteins up front, 2 back plus Roadmasters.
The Quadvan conversion differs from all others in that the cross member above the front axel is made completely by Quadvan. It is engineered to allow max up travel of the diff. housing. It's very sophisticated from a design standpoint. Basically it allows installation of the Ford factory axel without any mods to the axel.
Other conversions modify the Van cross member and the axel by removing part of it to allow up travel.
This is a coil spring set up rather than leaf spring and the ride is excellent.
The turning radius is tighter than a stock van!
I originally wanted a 2" lift but after getting a good understanding of the limitations to up travel I went with the 4" lift. The 2008 requires 17" wheels for the bigger front brakes so I chose 285/70 BFG A/T's to keep the the final height moderate.
At this point I'm a BIG Quadvan fan. Eddie Percic is wonderful to work with on every front. He took as much time as I needed and made sure I understood every aspect of the conversion process.
I can't wait 4 weeks! I want my van now!!!!

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #12

Chris,

Do you have a view how tall your van will be after the Quadvan conversion?

Will you have SMB put on a poptop or were you just looking for the 4x4 passenger van capability?

fyi when I spoke to a reference about the Quadvan conversion, he had gone the 2" lift kit route and regrets it. He wishes he had gone 4" now.

Thanks for your update. I am interested in hearing how your van comes along and your impression after it is delivered.

Congratulations.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #13

I will most likely have SMB install a top. I want to use the van for awhile before I make a final decision. As for the actual finished height, I'm not sure. I believe Quadvan figures the 4" to be the increase over stock height without regard to wheels and tires so the actual increase may be more. I'll have Eddie measure my van at it's stock height. He mentioned a client who was coming back to have his 2" conversion increased to 4".
I'll be posting my impressions in the beginning of May after I pickup the Van.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
I can't wait 4 weeks! I want my van now!!!!
My collegue told me he spotted a shiny white Quadvan yesterday in Santa Rosa. Did you get yours?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #15

That was me...probably. Picked it up in Portland on the 24th of last month. It is beyond my expectations in every regard. I'm planning on having SMB put a top on next month. If you want a closer look email me.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #16

Hey be sure to put your "I bought a van and then has SMB put a top in it" experience in Factory Builds. People ask about this but you're the first person I've heard of doing it in recent history.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #17

Will do!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #18

Re: Actual Quadvan experience?

Hi, I'm one of the Quadvan / SMB owners. I've lived in my van 6 months per year for the past 2 years and have done 2 four month road trips in it.

The Quadvan conversion is the closest thing to a 4X4 F-350 pickup available on the van market. I have driven F-350s offroad doing forest-fire fighting work in British Columbia for many years. These trucks provide more 4X4 durability than any 4X4 RV owner will ever need. I've put numerous vehicles through the hardest off-roading you'll ever put a vehicle through. They stood up very well for the most part and most of them survived. No doubt they withstood much more than most grey-haired SMB owners will ever subject their $100,000 SMBs to on summer vacation. Since then I've had my Quadvan in deep sand, deep rocks and on 3 wheeled river bank hops more time than I can count. The handling on highway is tight and the 4X4 capability is more than I have needed yet. Obviously the SMB conversion is heavier but nobody 40km off-road in deep sand and heavy rocks in central Mexico is ever going to need the extra capabilities that a SMB conversion offers over the Quadvan. I challenge anybody to that. And to sacrafice the ease of maintenance and handling of the Quadvan just isnt worth it. Not to mention, if any of you have ever needed warranty work from SMB you know just how much of an ordeal that can be... Quadvan, if you ever need warranty work, which is unlikely, will not treat you as a problem but will fix whatever problem you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
SMBers,

Does anyone have direct experience with Quadvan 4x4 conversions out of Portland OR?

In speaking with them, they position that the SMB 4x4 is for hard(er) core off-roaders and that the ride is harsher for it.

They position their conversion as having better ride quality with it being left unsaid that it is potentially less capable off-road.

I don't expect to need a hard core 4x4 setup and I like having them based closer to me than Fresno (950 miles away). While I'll drive their conversion tomorrow, I don't have a back to back comparison.

So, have any of you actually ridden/drove in a Quadvan conversion? He mentioned that they have done 13 SMB conversions to date with two in the queue presently.

fyi
They also position that they use a high % of Ford parts from the F series so support is easier (any Ford dealer) and they are slightly less expensive ($12.2k verses $16.4k). Turning radius is the same as SMB, 14 feet less than Quigly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Mark
GTRV Conversion
cranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #19

Re: Actual Quadvan experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranny
Obviously the SMB conversion is heavier but nobody 40km off-road in deep sand and heavy rocks in central Mexico is ever going to need the extra capabilities that a SMB conversion offers over the Quadvan. I challenge anybody to that.
Ah, but can you do "the trick"? An SMB 4x4 can do a zero turn radius manuver with the front in low and the rear locked with the parking brake.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #20

Obviously the SMB conversion is heavier but nobody 40km off-road in deep sand and heavy rocks in central Mexico is ever going to need the extra capabilities that a SMB conversion offers over the Quadvan. I challenge anybody to that.[/quote]

No, I can't do 'the trick'. And, yes, there is some jealousy there.. (And, I wish I could figure out how to post a reply on this discussion..)
GTRV Conversion
cranny is offline   Reply With Quote