Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Actual Quadvan experience?

SMBers,

Does anyone have direct experience with Quadvan 4x4 conversions out of Portland OR?

In speaking with them, they position that the SMB 4x4 is for hard(er) core off-roaders and that the ride is harsher for it.

They position their conversion as having better ride quality with it being left unsaid that it is potentially less capable off-road.

I don't expect to need a hard core 4x4 setup and I like having them based closer to me than Fresno (950 miles away). While I'll drive their conversion tomorrow, I don't have a back to back comparison.

So, have any of you actually ridden/drove in a Quadvan conversion? He mentioned that they have done 13 SMB conversions to date with two in the queue presently.

fyi
They also position that they use a high % of Ford parts from the F series so support is easier (any Ford dealer) and they are slightly less expensive ($12.2k verses $16.4k). Turning radius is the same as SMB, 14 feet less than Quigly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

Not so sure about that turning radius. Quigley is 49 feet and I think SMB is the same. There have been a few discussions about this in other topics.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Quigley is 49 feet and I think SMB is the same
I don't have the ratings, but there is a significant difference. At the 2006 Sportsmobile Rally in Silverton, CO, the SMB 4x4s could consistently make tight switchbacks in one turn for which the Quigleys had to execute a 3-point turn.

-- Geoff
Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #4

I believe the new Quigleys are quite a bit different than the older ones. And the new ones have a tighter turning radius.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #5

If this is the right thread I'd be interested in owner's opinions on Quigley. I've read everything I can find on all of the main conversion company options for Ford vans and I'm still having a hard time making a decision. I have avoided Quigleys but I'm not sure why now. I may need to change my mind.
I intend to buy a used 4wd RB van and Quigleys are easier to find.
There seems to be confusion about turning radius.
What is it? Can I make a U-turn in 50ft.? 40ft.? 30ft.?
What about ride height? Disregarding wheel and tire sizes is the lift the same on all Quigleys except the IFS?
What is the overall ride quality? Is this just a matter of shock choice?
I am not a hardcore off roader. Is Quigley more than I need?
Brakes? I've heard lots of negative comment there.
Would you buy a Quigley again?
I've driven a midsize SUV for the past 300k miles with 9" of clearance and front and rear locking differentials and a 3 spd. transfer case. All stock. It has gotten me into and out of every place I felt safe going. Nothing in the drive train has ever failed. My sense is that any of the 4wd van conversions will be at least as durable and dependable.
Thanks for any input.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #6

I see you are in Santa Rosa. Have you considered Salem Kroger in Red Bluff CA? My wife and I just purchased a 2004 RB50 with 2WD. Sportsmobile wasn't interested in doing the 4X4 conversion due to it's age and mileage. I talked to Craig at S-K and was very pleased with their experience. They have done several thousand vehicles over the years. Lots of flexibility. Mostly heavy duty Ford Parts. Coil springs in the front. I rode in one and was amazed at how well it handled, way better than stock. Ours is up there currently. The way I ended up looking at it was this: Sportsmobile 4X4, very heavy duty, for serious rock crawling. Quigley 4X4, much lighter duty, great for highways with snow, dirt roads, some mud, some legitimate 4 wheeling. Salem Kroger, somewhere between the two. oclv

PS. I asked about the post here with the negative feedback about the mouse damage. They felt that there was a better than average chance that the mouse was already in the van when they got it. The van was closed doors, and then up on jack stands. Mice are not likely to climb stands.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #7

Thanks,
I looked at their website but got the impression they were into the hard core off road market. I have considered Quadvan in Portland. I like the website and I've spoken to Eddie Percic there a couple of times. I'm not ruling out getting a used 2wd and converting it. Quadvan will do a 2" lift rather than a 4". I like that idea. My goal is to buy a van in the next month or 2. Now that I've actually made that decision I am more anxious to get moving. The base van needs to to be a V10 RB passenger van 2005 or newer.
Please let me know how you like the Salem-Kroger after you get your van back. Maybe I'll run up to Red Bluff and test drive something.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #8

I chided Craig at Salem Kroger about how bad their website is. They are very flexible. When I explained to Craig what we wanted to do with our van (highway driving to get to where we would be exploring up in the mountains of Nevada and CA) he suggested a 3" lift with 33" tires on 17" wheels, or a 4" lift with 34" or 35" tires on 17" wheels. Nothing extreme, just stuff that they have done over and over with great results. We decided to go with 4" lift and 34" tires. I am re gearing the rear and front differentials to 4.56 ( If I remember corectly) to bring the gear ratio back to the original 4.10 to keep the speedometer and transmission where they should be. I am also having them do a 46 gal fuel cell as they would have to cut the original 35 gal tank back to about 29 or 30 gal, not enough for where we will be going. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #9

Quadvan impressions after a site visit

I went down to Portland to visit Quadvan yesterday. I met with Eddie Percic and he walked me through their factory and the conversion that they offer. He had two vans on the racks undergoing conversion and a new Pueblo Gold 08 arrived while I was there from the Ford dealer.

It was a useful and enjoyable visit. If there is an error in the technical representation below, it should sit with me since I didn't take notes at the time:-) Eddie was open and constructive with his suggestions even with options that he didn't offer.

In (my) summary, he puts a F-350 SuperDuty suspension on the bottom of the E-series vans.
The van that he used as the demo van was a RB Ford passenger van on a 4" lift with Bilstein shocks (front and rear) and a Roadmaster Active Suspension in the rear. The demo and the basic conversions include new Ford parts including a Dana 60 front Axel, steering control arms, track bars, ABS and brakes. This included the NV 271 Transfer Case with manual F-series shifter and manual hubs. His additions were the milled (or cut) bracketing that is required to get the F-series suspension to fit on an E-series body. Spacers are used in the back, putting the front and back wheels aligned with equal width.
FYI, he does nothing on the interior, he is only a suspension shop with a few other offerings like brushguards.

The demo van drove well, better than my expections. Unfortunately, I haven't done a lot of 4x4 van driving so I don't have much to compare. In describing it to my wife who wasn't there, I said it would be livable for a long road trip and not substantially harsher than our minivan. The damping seemed to be working as we went over railroad tracks and sway was minimal to acceptable through s-style turns (chicanes).

The van had a good/reasonable turning radius. We did a 360 turn within 2 lanes on a four lane road, he represented it as similar to the SMB 4x4 turning radius. That would seem correct given the conversations on this board.

As the product is almost entirely Ford, Warranty and Service would be through the standard Ford network where they have an OEM2 classification.

Many (most) of his conversions are government or commercial such as ambulances although he has done a number of end user van users as well. He described his opportunity as those that want an everyday drivable truck that doesn't beat them to death on the way to the 4x4 sections.

I view Quadvan as a smaller, customer focused shop where he will remember your name and has a clear commitment to customer sat and safety. I think the potential downside is resale since few people (as is evidenced by this thread) know of him.

I liked Eddie and the product they produce although I haven't made a decision yet. I'm off to SMB West next week to take a drive in their vans and see which is a better fit for our needs.

If you are in the market for a 4x4 suspension conversion, you may want to take at www.quadvan.com as well.

Disclaimer:
No, I have no business interest or financial advantage in any vendors discussed above. Your mileage may vary, your needs may be different, your opinions may differ. In fact, my lovely and intelligent wife frequently disagrees with me.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Site Team

I talked with Eddie a number of times when we were looking at having a conversion done. I found him very helpful and informative, I found his conversion very appealing, and we would have gone with Quadvan for the 4x4 conversion if we hadn't bought a used conversion. So, I don't have firsthand experience, but we were ready to buy a used van from him and have it converted.

When I talked with him, he did offer conversions with a 2" or 4" lift, with a manual (lever) or automatic (switch) transfer case option, and had a door bracket so you could have a sliding side door versus the swing open side doors. The bracket is necessary to clear the wider rear track.

FWIW, I would rather have the Bilsteins than the Old Man Emu shocks.

Herb