Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #41

Re: Adding 1" lift to a Quigley van?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musterdbom
Would lift blocks be ok instead of the add-a-leaf if I have a cargo van and don't intend to add a bunch of weight in the back? My E350 rides pretty nicely now but I would like to increase the FRONT end travel, and with that, match the rear height to the front. Thanks!
An axle would like to rotate. If you put a block on it this will enhance the force to rotation (while breaking).
Though if you don't go too high, like 2" , this shouldn't be an issue.

derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #42

I put the 880S springs on my van today and it was really quite easy. Thanks to Outopawn for posting the pictures and providing the brief description. That encouraged me to go for it and I'm glad I did. I took the front bumper off and used a hi-lift as he suggested and then used a bottle jack to manage the axle height. Once I got the tension off of the spring and removed the fastener up top and bolt at the base the spring just fell out. I didn't even need to remove the sway bar. Drove the van around and no more bottoming. Now I just need some custom damped shocks. Rumor is those will be available in 2016.....all in all a recommended upgrade particularly given the cost. I got the springs for around $88 on Amazon.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #43

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I finally got around to installing the CC880S springs I picked up 1.5 years ago (!). I used Outopawn's method, but it took a bit more coaxing to fit the new springs in place than others have described. My axle didn't want to "drop" under its own weight, so I ended up disconnecting various things (shock bottoms, sway bar ends) before determining that windup in the bushings was "lifting" the axle with the frame. I had to lean on the axle to drop it enough to fit the new springs beneath the retaining bump on top. The stock brake lines and ABS wiring were just barely long enough to drop the axle enough to fit the springs without detaching them.

I also discovered that it's easiest to hook the top spring retainer in place before seating the bottom of the spring. One side gave me no issues, but on the other side the spring geometry was just barely off. I had to unbolt the bottom, wiggle the spring around until I could get the top retainer to hook the retaining slot, and start the top bolt threads before aligning and bolting the bottom spring perch.

I have only one word to describe this mod: transformative! In general I've had no complaints with the handling of my 2011 Quigley other than the bump stop crashing. There's a sizable dip in the road leaving my neighborhood that used to require slowing well below the posted limit to avoid crashing into the bump stops, but now the van cruises right over it at the posted limit like it should. The van does feel a bit more "wobbly", but I attribute that directly to the nearly 1.5" taller front end and I'm not sure I would have even noticed if I weren't nitpicking the ride change from the springs.

If you're on the fence over whether to make this change, I highly recommend it. My only regret: not doing this a long time ago--although in my defense, I don't own a hi-lift so I had to find a convenient time to borrow one. Now on to the next step like everyone else, fixing the newly saggy rear end!

Stock Quigley springs vs. Moog CC880S:

Pegleg in situ (taken to show the hi-lift owner I was #usingit, second jack/stand added immediately after this pic was taken):

Old 03-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #44

Kibo, thanks for sharing!
I own these 880s also, since 3 years, not installed.

I can also tell that a Quigley axle does not easily drop, depending on setup. Unfortunately my very early 1994 Model has a different shock and coil connection than yours and every other that I have seen.
I needed to unbolt the bumper, the shocks and the upper coil retainer. The axle dropped 1-2" from the upper coil retainer. I could not unbolt the lower coil fixing bolt. living in a metric world my available 28 mm as well as the 30 mm nut were not exactly fitting, a 2 meter extender bent my "tool" but did not loose the bolt. I really do not know how get an impact wrench in this spot. W/o one it is probably not possible.
This is the moment when you start to make things worse, so I quit for the "moment" ...

I will try again this spring ... we will see. Also the recommended Bilstein shocks, do not fit, although the part number came from an expert I do not want to mention. So if I can fit the coils the shocks will not. So I need to let someone weld new mounts for the Bilsteins.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #45
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Kibo, if you think installing the springs was transformative, save up for a set of Agile’s tuned Fox shocks.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #46

I just installed some Moog 880s coils on the front of my 2000 e250 Quigley.

They are super harsh. I think that my 7000# van doesn't weigh enough for them to work properly.

Mated to brand new bill steins they are giving me 1.75" lift over the factory van coils that were in there and are sitting at 15" with the van on the ground.

Any suggestions for a coil that may provide a softer ride? The 860 seems to be a little tall, and really, 1" extra is all I am looking for. I was having trouble finding the 880.

What was the factory lift for the Quigley on day 1. It's a 2000 E250 4x4. Is the back only the amount of the block (3"), and if so would the front lift have been? I am trying to determine the day 1 original Quigley ride hight to correctly spec a new set of leafs for the rear.
vantron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantron View Post

They are super harsh. I think that my 7000# van doesn't weigh enough for them to work properly.

Mated to brand new bill steins they are giving me 1.75" lift over the factory van coils that were in there and are sitting at 15" with the van on the ground.

Any suggestions for a coil that may provide a softer ride? The 860 seems to be a little tall, and really, 1" extra is all I am looking for. I was having trouble finding the 880.

What was the factory lift for the Quigley on day 1. It's a 2000 E250 4x4. Is the back only the amount of the block (3"), and if so would the front lift have been? I am trying to determine the day 1 original Quigley ride hight to correctly spec a new set of leafs for the rear.
I cannot recommend anything.
But your engine type can lead to something. Mine is the old 7.3 IDI - a really heavy pig.
The 5.4 is wayyy lighter, smaller and alu heads + alu Radiator, mine is copper.

I have NOT installed them yet.

But if people talk about their experiences - the weight on the front is important to understand.

PS: Mine is very stiff at the moment, afaik factory coils. I hope the 880s are softer, as they are progressive.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantron View Post

Do you know how much the front of your van weighs? My V10 E350 was 3960lbs on the front axle last I weighed it. It's "squishier" than the coils that Quigley spec'd due to the progressive nature, and I attribute any harshness to the OEM shocks.

I've since replaced the rear springs with a multi-leaf pack to remove the rear blocks and level the van (mostly). I've been meaning to post about that in the Alcan springs thread, but quick summary is that it smoothed out the ride even further (so much so that my wife commented on it unprovoked!).

Now to start saving for the coup de grace like Rick suggested, upgraded shocks!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #49

My van's front axel weighs 3,600 lb. I put brand new Bilstein Shocks on. It just seems real stiff. I didn't even put the sway bar back on yet and was experiencing minimal body roll. STIFF!

I am next in line at Alcan for a rear leaf pack. I am unsure exactly how many inches taller than a stock E250 to spec them at as I am unsure what the Quigley front end originally was. I think the Quigley's had quite a bit of rear sag even when new.

Once I get a more reasonable front coil I will make my best estimate relative to the rear as it sits now. Original leafs with the 3" Quigley block and an add a leaf that I put in 5 years ago. I figure the combination of the old leaf pack and the add a leaf probably has the rear sitting close to what it was after the conversion.

I have a set of CC81366 coming my way from rock auto that I am going to try next. They have a 16.2" uncompressed length and a 1893 load rating.
vantron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:14 PM   #50

Garage
Huh, I just put the Moog CC880S on my Quigley E250 (short version) with the 5.4 engine, and they are amazing. I do have a massive custom steel front bumper with a winch on the front. The whole thing extends about 1.5 feet out the front. Before the change, I had about 1/2 an inch gap under the bump stops, and now I have over 2 inches. It is a game changer.

Before the new springs, I tried spring-helper air-bags, and they lifted the van a little (although maybe more than usual because my front springs must have been about shot). That might be worth a try.

Big thanks to the pioneers of this thread. It has really improved the willingness of other people to ride in my van
MTDave is offline   Reply With Quote