Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Agile Offroad no longer converting Econolines

Just an FYI, I just got off the phone with them and was told they are no longer doing Econoline 4x4 conversions. Pretty disappointed as I finally had the budget to do a full 4x4 conversion and was excited to get their TTB conversion installed on my newly purchased van.

The sprinter/transit business must be too good to waste time and effort on the Econolines.

Anyone know of any other shops in CA that they would recommend for a 4x4 conversion?

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

It's because of parts. QuadVan stopped doing the TTB conversion in 2003 when Dana stopped making that axle new (QuadVan can only install new parts on vehicles under warranty as part of their QVM certification). Agile has been rebuilding used axles and at some point the supply of these was bound to dry up, since they were last installed in '97 F250s. And even at that point, many folks were bypassing the F250 and getting the F350 instead because of the better reliability of the solid front axle.

I don't think anybody left in CA does 4x4 conversions anymore, except SMB. Advance in SLC is probably the closest, but their conversion leaves a lot to be desired. QuadVan is a little further, but what you'll save in sales tax will probably pay for gas and airfare.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
It's because of parts. QuadVan stopped doing the TTB conversion in 2003 when Dana stopped making that axle new (QuadVan can only install new parts on vehicles under warranty as part of their QVM certification). Agile has been rebuilding used axles and at some point the supply of these was bound to dry up, since they were last installed in '97 F250s. And even at that point, many folks were bypassing the F250 and getting the F350 instead because of the better reliability of the solid front axle.

I don't think anybody left in CA does 4x4 conversions anymore, except SMB. Advance in SLC is probably the closest, but their conversion leaves a lot to be desired. QuadVan is a little further, but what you'll save in sales tax will probably pay for gas and airfare.
I guess my other option is a Ujoint kit. Although I have limited to no suspension experience.

I did ask Agile if they would do it if I found an axle and they said they would get back to me. How hard do you think it would be for me to find one?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

Garage
Another member mentioned this the other day. Sucks, but as mentioned they were bound to run out of available parts.

Www.car-parts.com to possibly find the parts yourself. Leaves a lot to be desired though. Never know what kinda service you’ll get from random salvage yards as far as getting everything you need.

Read up on advanced if you consider their conversion. Plenty of info on this and other forums.

Why not get a expo van kit and diy?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Another member mentioned this the other day. Sucks, but as mentioned they were bound to run out of available parts.

Www.car-parts.com to possibly find the parts yourself. Leaves a lot to be desired though. Never know what kinda service you’ll get from random salvage yards as far as getting everything you need.

Read up on advanced if you consider their conversion. Plenty of info on this and other forums.

Why not get a expo van kit and diy?
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know expo vans did a DIY kit, already sent them an email for more info. I didn't know much about kits in general as I had always just assumed Agile would do my conversion since they have such a good reputation and are so close to me.

Would you recommend the expo vans kit over the Ujoint kit?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #6

Dang, I just called them a few weeks ago and they gave me pricing info on their conversion. Hope they can still service their conversions as needed.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
Would you recommend the expo vans kit over the Ujoint kit?
I’ve never installed a uj kit, but I did help another member with an expo kit. The kit was very high quality and the customer support was top notch. If another van was in my future it’s the route I feel like I’d end up going. Especially since agiles focus has left the eseries.

Lol, I never did get to drive it, but I have driven one and was impressed. Apparently it was the first one completed. It was andrewst’s and it rode better than my quigley around town, but didn’t get to drive it off-road or on the highway though. I need to hit up the gent I helped install cause I really wanna drive it on the highway. That’s where mines the most squirrelly.

I’ve driven another members home built uj rb with a 4” lift. While I know it was more capable than my van in serious off-road conditions, mine seemed to ride better on the same dirt road and definitely had a better turn radius.

Other than using a plasma to clearance the cross member the expo kit was a bolt on affair iirc. It’s been a few years though and my brain is dropping memories quick these days.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

I think it might be more profitable these days to be MB/Revel boutique shop.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #9

This saddens my heart, as I had recently saved up my pennies and more importantly convinced the wife that this was the right move...oh well, maybe I’ll just do the weldtec lift and call it a day and pocket the extra $15k

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #10

Yep total bummer, I found out a few days ago. It was effective July 2020.

I haven't even gotten my quote for a RIP Kit yet.