Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The Ford Econoline 4WD conversion business can't be too bad.

I understand Chris at U-Joint did over a 130 IN-HOUSE 4WD Econoline conversions in 2019. That number does not include the "Kit" sales!

Customers ship their Ford Econoline vans to U-Joint for 4WD conversion from all over the USA.

U-Joint must be doing something right!
I wish! We average ~35 installs a year here in NC, with mail order kits our #s hover ~100. Yes, we get them shipped in from all over, have several west coast rigs here right now and we're about to start #1 of SIX RVs headed to Dubai.

The E series market is still strong but I understand why Agile would make this decision. Have to roll with the market and yes, people are willing to spend the $$ on these newer vans.

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
Sad to say but I'd have to agree. Lately they were only promoting Sprinters whom owners have deeper pockets.
John at Agile has always been very focused on building up his business, and the market for upgrading Sprinters is huge and growing. By comparison, the number of E series van conversions they did was much, much smaller, and the conversions take up more time and valuable shop space. That same space could used for several Sprinter upgrades in the same amount of time, with what I would assume would be bigger profits. Add in the lack of availability of TTB parts and his decision is understandable.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
It's because of parts. QuadVan stopped doing the TTB conversion in 2003 when Dana stopped making that axle new (QuadVan can only install new parts on vehicles under warranty as part of their QVM certification). Agile has been rebuilding used axles and at some point the supply of these was bound to dry up, since they were last installed in '97 F250s. And even at that point, many folks were bypassing the F250 and getting the F350 instead because of the better reliability of the solid front axle.

I don't think anybody left in CA does 4x4 conversions anymore, except SMB. Advance in SLC is probably the closest, but their conversion leaves a lot to be desired. QuadVan is a little further, but what you'll save in sales tax will probably pay for gas and airfare.
Goes for MG/ExpoVans as well. No sales tax in Oregon.
https://expovans.com/conversions/e-series/
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #34

FYI - spoke to a very knowledgeable guy I know who knows the E Series inside and out mechanically - engine, drivetrain, body. He is in SoCal.

He says he has already done a few UJOR Kit installs on vans he has bought, refurbed and upgraded. I asked if he would consider doing installs for others and he said he would.

I am pretty sure he would do MG's kit, as well.

So, looks like there may be a SoCal installation option. PM me if interested.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk216v View Post
Goes for MG/ExpoVans as well. No sales tax in Oregon.
https://expovans.com/conversions/e-series/
DOh! Of course. Probably a better option for any van outside of warranty.