Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Agile Quigley Suspension Upgrade

So years ago, when contemplating a new van, I swore I'd never buy another Quigley due to the harsh ride characteristics. Then I drove many of the other 4x4 conversions, and Agile's Quigley RIP kit, and decided maybe the Quigleys weren't as bad as I thought.. so I ended up with another Quigley.

The first thing I did was call Ramsey and get my RIP installed (conveniently my old Quigley had been on the waiting list)! That is a huge improvement, and I've been happy about it ever since. My write up on that is here.

But, the add-a-leafs weren't quite enough to keep the ass end from sagging, even with 3.5" blocks, and I had the original open channel Quigley control arms which are prone to cracking. I'd been keeping an eye on them, and talking to Ramsey off and on about what I wanted to do.. His spring place closed up shop with no notice one day, so that delayed us, then both of our confused schedules never quite aligned.

Finally in December I was planning on going to Baja on my dirtbike for a week, so I talked with Agile and got it scheduled..

Dropped the van off, and spent a week dirtbiking around Baja:

And arrived back to Agile to a new and improved van!

Glen (Agile's head fabricator and baldest of the three partners) had built new custom control arms to replace the poorly designed Quigley arms, and while at it made them adjustable with johnny joints and special bushings. Super nice quality and allowed the front axle to be moved forward about an inch to allow a bit more travel. While at it, Ramsey revalved the front shocks to a new setting, adding a bit more rebound damping.

On the ass end, working with a new spring shop, Glen and Ramsey installed new custom leaf springs.. My old setup had 3.5" blocks, and the rear sagged about 2", so a total of 5.5" had to be made up. The first set of springs wasn't up to the task, so they were sent back to the spring shop for re-arching. Back in the van, they made up about 3.5", and only a 2" block was needed to level the van.. They worked well, but we still needed to get rid of the block. Running out of time, Agile sent me home with my van. I really liked the ride, but alas I don't want the block!

So fast forward a few months, John and Ramsey had worked with the spring shop to make a new set, and 1der had to go down there to pick up some stuff, so he volunteered to drive my van. Back down to San Diego my van went, and they installed the new custom springs. No blocks, perfect ride height, great ride! Finally! I haven't had a chance to beat the new springs offroad yet, but on pavement and dirt roads they have worked well.

While there, they also installed this kit to align the left front wheel.. Apparently somehow my kingpin front had gotten knocked around. This kit worked great, and now the van tracks straight (and hopefully won't chew up tires as much!).

http://www.spcalignment.com/index.ph...tion&pid=88950

Damn, that's a long post.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Damn... you make us sound good!

Thanks!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
Damn... you make us sound good!

Thanks!
Well, it did take like a year or two since we first started talking about it!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #4

Good to hear! Let's hope they can do the same magic on my van in a couple months... Hint hint

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #5

Those control arms look pretty damn nice. I think thats next on rust buckets list of upgrades. Mine don't inspire a whole lot of confidence.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote