Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

I've got mine booked for June 1st. Will make a post when it's done.

loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #12

cautionary post from from unhappy customer on Expo forum: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...ulance.225141/
Old 06-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #13

I have a full conversion from AJs. Have had fit and finish issues but otherwise no major complaints. I also had mine done around the same time as the link above guy got his done. I was one of the last conversions done in the old shop, the stuff I've seen coming out of the new shop location has been higher quality. New welders, more full time mechanics. Etc. Feel free to hit me up for questions, pictures, etc.
listonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #14

Mine is in there right now. While I was dropping it off I looked a couple customer vans over pretty close, and I didn't see anything that turned me off.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #15

Picked the van up Friday and drove about 550 miles home. Once we got home I took a few pictures of brackets, etc. if anyone is curious about how AJ's does that. One aspect of this that I like is that all the wear parts (bushings, bearings, tie rod ends, etc.) are factory parts. When I need to service something I can just go to the parts house.

Overall (quick) impression, I'm happy.
Had a little delay picking it up, but there were mitigating factors there (FedEx lost the gears and lockers so they were a week late, and record high temps were kicking the crew's butts) so I can't really complain.
When we first took off it drove a little wild, but airing the tires up to 50 psi sorted that out.

Going out tomorrow and 4 wheel it a bit and see what I think about that side of things.
Attached Thumbnails
build 1.jpg   build 2.jpg   build 3.jpg   build 4.jpg   build 5.jpg  

Old 07-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #16

Anyone notice that the track bar mount is just a long bolt and a tube spacer over to the frame? I can't tell if it's supported on the backside at all. Eeek.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #17

The frame end of the track bar is in a double shear mount. Each side of that shear is welded into the rest of the bracket, which is bolted to the frame with the steering box bolts with another brace bolted back into the crossmember.

Overall, the track bar bracket is supported top to bottom on the outside of the frame rail, along the bottom of the frame rail, and bolted in four locations.

The original poster asked about AJ's. I had my van done there, so I have first hand knowledge of what an AJ's conversion looks and acts like. I posted pictures showing how the mounts are made, because there was a question about them being welded to the frame.

I'm happy with my van, it drives fine, the 4X4 works fine, it's fine. If you want to do business with a different shop, do it. I'm done here.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #18

Was just an observation.
Thx for the info.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #19

Loper-
How’s the rig running a few months after the 4x4 conversion from AJ’s 4x4. Thanks for the pics in previous posts!
Oldjoe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #20

Oldjoe72,

Everything is pretty good, with a couple small glitches.

I had a locking hub go bad, and Art (AJ's) provided me with a new one. Easy fix there.

I think I need to go with stiffer front springs, since the van is pretty top heavy (fixed high top, roof rack, etc.). Makes it sort of wobbly on fast bumps. Art is trying to get the severe service springs for me, but they're out of stock everywhere right now. I may just have a local spring shop make some for me, if Moog doesn't catch up soon.

I won't say everything was factory perfect in every regard, from the very first second, but I will say the glitches were minor. As quick as I called Art about the hub, he started working on the fix. He sent two of his guys to my house (450 miles one-way) to replace the hub.

There was never any question of charging me extra for any of this; Art just wants to stand behind his work. I would not hesitate to send somebody else to AJ's for a 4X4 swap.

I have made a few camping trips and desert photo trips in it, and I drive it to work at least once a week. I wouldn't say I've really strained it, but I have been in places that will pick up a wheel here and there. No sweat driving it wherever I want.

And no, I don't have any sort of deal or endorsement arrangement, just calling it how I see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Van.jpg