Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #1

Another BFG gone bad!

After camping at Palo Duro over Christmas we got up to cold weather. I didn't like how the rear passenger tire was looking so I checked the pressure and it matched the front exactly. I figured they were a bit low due to the drop in temperature.

As we were leaving Amarillo, TX there was an all too familar vibration. I couldn't believe it- didn't want to actually, but I got out in the blowing snow and looked at the tires.

By the time we limped to a Peerless tire shop the bulge was undeniable. Only a single belt let loose this time- the previous two times it's been most of them across the tire.

The brand new tire from the last time finally touched pavement, which means the resale/trade-in value just dropped to next to nothing, but it's better than ignoring it and having a blowout.

The last time this happened Discount pulled and inspected every tire at my insistence and said they were all tip-top, no signs of problems, no safety issues.

Of course after all that I refused to pay for a new warranty since they (the Tucson location) refused to ever touch my van again (wheel spacers) so it should be interesting what the local branch says about this whole mess.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #2

I'm shopping around for Toyo OpenCountryMT 305/70/16s. So far the best price is $280/per loose. The local Discount Tire also will work on my van (hooray!), they're the last place I'm going for a price.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #3

Well Discount agreed to work on the van even with the spacers, however their best price is over $1800 for 5, and a local 4x4 shop I go to is doing 5 for $1600 flat, mount, balance and lifetime warranty. The only drawback is I have to return the tires there for warranty.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day of tire stores as I need to go to Discount and have the BFG replaced under warranty before heading to Mile-Hi Motorsports to have my Toyos installed.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Wow, that is expensive. My local discount tire installed 5 Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/75/16) and 5 new AR Mojave wheels for $1800. Are the Toyo tires really that much more expensive? Good luck Jage.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #5

I don't know Discount's quote for Nitto Terra Grapplers were 5/ $1700.

I got 5 35x13 Toyos for my Jeep at around $1500 and I thought it was a pretty good deal, but again that was comparing local prices. The Discount guy also said the 16" tires are more expensive than the 15" tires (which I'm like, huh?).
Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #6

jage
Are you going to change to 17 inch rims for your new tires?

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #7

Toyos

Jage

You will really like the Toyos. The reason they cost more is their built twice as strong as any BFG. They will be a little noisier than the ATs but not bad...

They might not last as long (the tread) but they won't let you down off-road.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #8

Thanks Jeff.

Craig, I'm not going to 17s because of the cost. I was trying to milk some more miles out of the BFGs, until I could get rims and tires together to be ready for the brake upgrade.

The 305/70/16 are E, but 3500 instead of 3800 with 285/75/16. I'm putting off the brakeman upgrade, and someone said there are other companies who make an upgrade that will fit a 16" rim.

Worst case I'll sell the Toyos and rims when I can put a brakeman kit on, and maybe (sigh) go to 35s. Someday, right?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #9

One new BFG, one with a blown belt.

The 305s are wider and the 285s barely fit on the Aluminess bumper anyway, so the guys at MHM are making me an extension bracket. Once that's done I'll put a new post with photos of the Toyos.

The BFGs are getting recycled for credit at Discount Tire, and I'm going to use them to upgrade the F250 with E Range tires all around. I'll probably stick with the 285s, since that will be an upgrade for the pickup. The BFGs coming off are good, but I'm just convinced that D range tires are unsafe for both vehicles.