Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #11

[QUOTE=REF;284837I’m now beginning to come around in believing the old mantra “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.....[/QUOTE]

And carry spare's.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #12

After a recent trip to the midwest and a couple freeway days of very strong and gusty cross winds, I think it is time to finally address the play in my steering box. I just assumed I would go Redhead, but now this thread is making me have second thoughts. I'll look into the Blue Top too.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
After a recent trip to the midwest and a couple freeway days of very strong and gusty cross winds, I think it is time to finally address the play in my steering box. I just assumed I would go Redhead, but now this thread is making me have second thoughts. I'll look into the Blue Top too.

+1. This thread is going places!
Old 11-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Sorry but the video in Post #7 isn't the least bit helpful---I really don't care how many staples one uses to ship something? I would have preferred seeing a real world installation and longer term report.

Its sad hearing Red Head steering boxes might be slipping in quality of rebuild---one would think rebuilding a steering gear wouldn't be that difficult to do well. For what they already charge refusing to cover R&I labor for a defective part doesn't make choosing their product seem like a wise choice.

Never heard of the Blue Top brand but they don't seem to be significantly different or all that better than Red Head. BTW I didn't see anything they list for the E-Series---did I miss something?

With both companies core charges and return shipping add to the high cost. That both will or can reduce your core refund based on a few different perhaps unknown factors makes that a process questionable whether its a good idea to even attempt returning your core?

I've had my own issues with re-man'd steering boxes---once bought a Ford unit for just about $100 more than an NAPA CarDone brand. 85K miles later it simply blew apart, not a single warning or prior issue. replaced with the cheap NAPA CarDone brand, some 27.5K miles later all is well.

(Ford does offer a 2 year warranty on their reman'd steering boxes but mine let go just over 5 years after purchase.)

Still even with all that I'm into two boxes and labor costs that still don't exceed the cost of a Red Head. So that leaves me completely undecided what to do if I opt to upgrade or replace my current steering box.

What to do, what to do? IF I could find a new Ford steering box I'd pay the premium price---most are all reman'd these days though.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #15

Do the OEM boxes normally fail only when folks are running oversized tires and/or lifts that overly stress their design parameters, or are they a known failure point on vans with stock suspensions and tires, too?

As an aside, Cardone Industries is five miles from my house. I went to high school with the owner’s daughter, and my neighbor is an engineer of some sort with them.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #16

JWA, If what you got from the video was merely how many staples they put in a box, maybe you have some other issues you should address prior to worrying about steering boxes. I dont think anyone needs a video on how to install a steering box. In our case the box is held on with 3 bolts, utilizes two hoses, and a splined input coupler. However if you need an install video there are a ton of them on youtube.

I can post videos and reviews about redhead failures all day long. My post was directed towards the OP who has a redhead box. The point of the video was to show him that he isnt the only one having issues with what has become an over rated product imo.

The fact you have never heard of BlueTop doesnt make them an inferior product. It only shows that you havent taken the time to do your research before commenting. In fact had you taken the time to do your research you would have found that the owner of BlueTop actually worked for Redhead for many years before leaving the company to start his own business.

I didnt post the video to promote bluetop, i wouldnt buy a bluetop myself, beyond that bluetop doesnt even list a box for the E series application, if you look at their website you will find that they clearly state "if it isnt listed it isnt available to order". Thats not to say a person couldnt call them and ask if they can build a box for them.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #17
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Do the OEM boxes normally fail only when folks are running oversized tires and/or lifts that overly stress their design parameters, or are they a known failure point on vans with stock suspensions and tires, too?
That's a good question---I don't believe I've seen all that many steering gear failures on "normal" vehicles, never thought to track whether 4x4, lifted bodies or over sized tires contribute or heighten such failures. That's maybe something we could collectively do even if casually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
As an aside, Cardone Industries is five miles from my house. I went to high school with the owner’s daughter, and my neighbor is an engineer of some sort with them.
That's interesting---here all along I thought they were just another faceless mega-conglomeration with little to no soul? I've personally seen too many failures of their branded parts and can't help noticing they tend to be the lowest cost reman'd parts available. Not sure all that's related but it does make one wonder if it is?

Over the years I've used more and more new or OEM parts for most things running gear related. I've called Ford and they only offer reman'd boxes these days, kinda crazy pricing though. List @ $458, trade cost about $343 but core of $250, typically a 30 day limit on return for credit.

5 years ago I bought that same box for $258---wow!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #18

I contacted Danny at Readhead today about the issues I have had in the past and the current issue. In fairly short order, despite the box being slightly over two years old, he offered to warranty it based on the continuing problems I've had with it. So, I'd say that their customer service has improved even if their quality control is still a bit lacking. After we finished the paper work, I mentioned there are several folks here expressing their displeasure with the current state of their QC. He admitted that they have had some changes in the last couple years that may have resulted in a few issues, but it sounds like they are aware of the problems and may be doing something about it. I invited him to check out this thread and suggested he comment, which he said he would. So, I have a new box on the way and that's good news..............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
JWA

^^^That's great for you AT and the brand name in general. I've not yet taken the plunge but have always had Redhead boxes at the top of my mind.

Like most here I don't mind spending the money IF the product meets my expectations of quality while in service and a reasonably long life.

I hope Redhead does pop in and share anything they'd like to contribute. We're mostly a friendly bunch here!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #20

I don't get it? I've had 3 Ford vans and all together a combined milage if approx 700,000 miles...and the OEM Ford steering was just fine in all 3.
Im quite sure I drive a lil harder than the average van driver too?
Only thing I can think of is that my Vans are cargo vans weighing from 5500 to 7300 pounds empty, and adding another 3000 lbs or more in adventure upgrades may have a detrimental effect over the intended original design ?
But then again similar steering boxes are on F-450 F550s and more motorhomes conversions that you could shake a stick at... And their chuggin along just fine as well?

Strange ????
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote