Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #31
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
IIRC the problem is the truck boxes have a different number of output splines, but the truck pitman arm is not suitable for a van. Probably fixable with some fabrication, though.
I don't know how the output shaft spline count would affect the steering box overall? (If we're talking which output shaft fits which Pitman arm--truck or van then that would make sense.)

IIRC the E-Series box is pretty much the same as a similar year or era F-Series---when talking with Red Head that was their suggestion. If that's the case opting for a box fitting an F-Series might not be too advantageous.

Naturally a stock Pitman arm which isn't included on any reman'd box would be a huge determining factor whether it would work properly in any one application.

I will add turning the wheels on pavement shouldn't have any ill effects on the steering box. Like most drivers though I don't just sit in one spot and crank the wheels, more concerned with the minuscule tire wear rather than the box, truth be told.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #32

After some scary moments earlier this year on Hwy 1 in Baja with all the play in my steering, decided I had better take care of the problem before my upcoming trip back down there. Found a local-ish company that rebuilds steering gear boxes. They do mostly big rigs, but will work on pretty much anything. Figured I'd give them a try. Dropped off my gear box and they gave estimate, day two received a call with firm quote (same as estimate), day three the box was ready for pickup. Super friendly folks there.

It is SOOOO nice not having all that play any more. Based on my short term experience, I will recommend them. We'll see if it holds up in the long run.

Straight Line Steering
San Jose, CA

Just figured I would pass it along.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #33

Good info! What kind of rig do you have? Was the cost reasonable? My 2000 still is “cushy” when driving and been trying to get to a normal level of play and the steering box might be next
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #34

In case anyone is interested, Wanderer took a different approach on his Yolanda build. Apparently it was a big win. Starts at post #217 here...

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-20819-22.html
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Good info! What kind of rig do you have? Was the cost reasonable? My 2000 still is “cushy” when driving and been trying to get to a normal level of play and the steering box might be next
2005 E-350 EB50 w/ 6.0psd (in my signature)
I don't think the cost was unreasonable. I think it was $320 (or near there).

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #36

Garage
had a recent redhead experience i thought id add to the most recent redhead thread:

last spring wife and i were out trying to get into spots we like, but kept finding walls of snow. one of the spots we were stuck turning around left us trying to turn uphill at a 45* angle. i turned as sharp as i could and just started driving up the side of the road just to try and do one less point in my turn. i let the wheel follow the easiest path until it wouldnt go uphill anymore. i tried turing the wheel the opposite direction as i was backing up and realized i wasnt getting any power assist from the pump. i figured i blew out a pump. manhandled it into a straight line and proceeded up the road. all functionality came back within a few hundred feet. thought it was weird, but ps was working and nothing puked fluid or anything weird so i figured it was a fluke.

2-3 months later i start noticing the ps isnt working well on right hand turns. i ask the guys in the shop if theyve ever seen this before. i get smartass remarks about accidentally buying a nascar ps pump... but that no, no one has ever heard of an issue like this. all agreed it was the steering gear and not the pump. so i call redhead. box is exactly 2 years old and a year past warranty, but the gent i talk too strikes up a deal with me for a replacement that i cant refuse. yes im still out of pocket but not near as much as i had to be.

while talking to the tech im curious why this happened and i dont want it to happen again so im asking a bunch of questions. in a nutshell he says i must have just had a valve go bad. he said they have a 3% failure rate and as usual, i fell into that 3%. shocker. i ask things about the specific scenario i was describing when i assume the initial damage happened and he said it wasnt anything that he has ever heard of that would have killed the gear.

now the part that perked my interest is when i told him what this pump was installed on and he told me that they have started offering a special modified pump that they designed in conjunction with whitefeather conversions. apparently they are using f-series axles on their sprinter conversions and wf is using their gears. the guy i talked to couldnt tell me what the difference was between what i originally purchased and the new whitefeather design. apparently only one guy at the place knows this super secret but i havent called back to bug him about it. regardless, i chose this option and it really is a tighter box than the last redhead gear i had installed. the original one was better than what it was replaced but it was a little stiff at first. not enough that i minded and it did loosen up, so i never had any complaints. well until it died of course, lol. either way, not sure what they did, but this box is definitely tighter than the original one i bought 2 years ago right from the getgo. time will tell how it wears.

i will say i was very happy with redheads customer service. sucks i fell into that 3% range, but this is my life and should be used to this kinda luck by now, but whatcha gon do? the option they offered me was by far the cheapest option i had to get into a replacement and it seems so far to be a better gear.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
had a recent redhead experience i thought id add to the most recent redhead thread:

last spring wife and i were out trying to get into spots we like, but kept finding walls of snow. one of the spots we were stuck turning around left us trying to turn uphill at a 45* angle. i turned as sharp as i could and just started driving up the side of the road just to try and do one less point in my turn. i let the wheel follow the easiest path until it wouldnt go uphill anymore. i tried turing the wheel the opposite direction as i was backing up and realized i wasnt getting any power assist from the pump. i figured i blew out a pump. manhandled it into a straight line and proceeded up the road. all functionality came back within a few hundred feet. thought it was weird, but ps was working and nothing puked fluid or anything weird so i figured it was a fluke.

2-3 months later i start noticing the ps isnt working well on right hand turns. i ask the guys in the shop if theyve ever seen this before. i get smartass remarks about accidentally buying a nascar ps pump... but that no, no one has ever heard of an issue like this. all agreed it was the steering gear and not the pump. so i call redhead. box is exactly 2 years old and a year past warranty, but the gent i talk too strikes up a deal with me for a replacement that i cant refuse. yes im still out of pocket but not near as much as i had to be.

while talking to the tech im curious why this happened and i dont want it to happen again so im asking a bunch of questions. in a nutshell he says i must have just had a valve go bad. he said they have a 3% failure rate and as usual, i fell into that 3%. shocker. i ask things about the specific scenario i was describing when i assume the initial damage happened and he said it wasnt anything that he has ever heard of that would have killed the gear.

now the part that perked my interest is when i told him what this pump was installed on and he told me that they have started offering a special modified pump that they designed in conjunction with whitefeather conversions. apparently they are using f-series axles on their sprinter conversions and wf is using their gears. the guy i talked to couldnt tell me what the difference was between what i originally purchased and the new whitefeather design. apparently only one guy at the place knows this super secret but i havent called back to bug him about it. regardless, i chose this option and it really is a tighter box than the last redhead gear i had installed. the original one was better than what it was replaced but it was a little stiff at first. not enough that i minded and it did loosen up, so i never had any complaints. well until it died of course, lol. either way, not sure what they did, but this box is definitely tighter than the original one i bought 2 years ago right from the getgo. time will tell how it wears.

i will say i was very happy with redheads customer service. sucks i fell into that 3% range, but this is my life and should be used to this kinda luck by now, but whatcha gon do? the option they offered me was by far the cheapest option i had to get into a replacement and it seems so far to be a better gear.
Interesting, so if anybody orders a redhead unit for their econoline, will they get the version with the updated pump?
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #38

Garage
^^^ i didnt get the impression that was the case. definitely not an option when looking up my year van (03) or i tried an 08 as well. no whitefeather option listed. one of the main reasons i posted was to make people aware of the option.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #39

It's my understanding the only difference between the 2 versions of the econoline steering boxes (early and late) is the 08 and newer boxes have bigger mounting bolts to the frame, otherwise all years are the same
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
It's my understanding the only difference between the 2 versions of the econoline steering boxes (early and late) is the 08 and newer boxes have bigger mounting bolts to the frame, otherwise all years are the same
There are also 32 and 36 spline sector shaft differences...

And input shaft differences...

And pressure/return fitting differences...

You think Ford makes it as easy as a simple model year cut off? C'mon man!

What's even better is that some mid 90's vans with the highest GVWR got the small sector shaft steering gear (with small mounting bolts) and E150s got the larger shaft and mounting bolts....which makes perfect sense for Ford since they do about the least logical thing possible with part numbers and configs. '94-ish to mid 2000s you could have gotten either steering gear but the vast majority were 36 spline. After about 2007 I don't see the 32 spline come up.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote