Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2023, 04:01 PM   #61

Interestingly the pictures of that Edelmann box look more like the OEM Ford item than the aftermarket one I have.

The part I have is either machined wrong or the sector shaft needs to be pulled and re-inserted once properly centered. Their support seemed convinced that there's an adjustment nut for this "on the back". After a couple of calls they have instructed me to not attempt to remove the sector shaft, but to initiate a return.

I suspect it's pretty standard fare to confirm the OEM part numbers in a situation like this, and there are two numbers for vans from 99-07:

F7UZ-3504-GBRM 32-spline, vans with front axles under 4200lbs
F7UZ-3504-FBRM 36-spline, vans with front axles over 4200lbs

The spline count makes this pretty obvious, but I also believe the higher weight axle indicates the cutaway van chassis.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:11 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Yea, the steering wheel…
In my case the wheel would have been off a full turn. You get to pick:

One turn to the left and three turns to the right.

or

Three turns to the left and one turn to the right.

Apparently I ended up with the dirt oval special.

If I could go back I'd go with another parts source, but now I get to see how this will play out. For all I know I got the one dud, and the next one will be fine.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:28 PM   #63

So, instead of sending me a replacement box, the vendor simply refunded my payment when the received the box I sent back to the without any further commentary.

At least the vendor is consistent in their theme of getting things almost right. This could be a simple mistake, or a sign that all their steering boxes are in this configuration.