Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 05:41 AM   #41

Anyone ever bolt a heavy duty F350 steering box onto their E series?

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:48 PM   #42

It looks like there is at least one set of steering boxes on the market that are advertised as "all new". The most prominent company selling them is Edelmann and it looks like the 3020 is the 32 spline box. There are also a couple kicking around without any brand name attached, I assume that these are all the same unit, but that's just a guess.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

It seems like a big issue with any rebuild is the condition of the worm shaft and that many rebuilders are unable to replace them. So an all new box has some appeal.

This does appear to be a non-US manufacturing operation, which at this point might be perfectly good quality, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Anyone ever bolt a heavy duty F350 steering box onto their E series?
I know this is an older post but some great info here.
Don't know if many have this but this build but this guy is amazingly talented.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-20819-22.html

Shoot to post 217 to learn everything you ever wanted to know about E vs. F steering boxes
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:03 PM   #44

Supposedly the new e350 Cutaway steering box can be adapted /close bolt in to the older rigs. Never done it. This is according to John at QuadVan.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:20 AM   #45

Switching to a different Ford box does seem fairly straight forward as long as a proper length pitman arm is sourced.

I hadn't really considered that that might open up new options from Ford, or even just a rebuild pool with newer worm shafts, but presumably it does.

I did read a number of Wanderer-RRORC's posts in that thread, there is a lot of good data there. I just wonder if these new boxes change the landscape at all.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I know this is an older post but some great info here.
Don't know if many have this but this build but this guy is amazingly talented.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-20819-22.html

Shoot to post 217 to learn everything you ever wanted to know about E vs. F steering boxes
Yep, I mentioned that post in the Pitman arm thread last week. Wanderer knows his stuff.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #47

I finally had some roads that are clear of snow, so I played around with the adjustment on my box and honestly even an 8th of a turn tighter and return to center is slightly compromised. The play isn't gone around 1/2 a turn tighter. Making the centering at all sticky really does not result in a desirable driving experience.

I do wonder if a longer pitman arm might make the play less of an issue. However I'm fairly convinced it's time to replace the steering box, so I ordered one of these new aftermarket boxes. I'll see how well it works.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:37 PM   #48

MadScience -- I'd be interested in your upgrade and hope you'll keep your post going - in case my box on my 2002 ever craps out !? Thanks -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
MadScience -- I'd be interested in your upgrade and hope you'll keep your post going - in case my box on my 2002 ever craps out !? Thanks -
Yes, I was intending to document my experience with one of these new units here. Might take me a little while though, it looks like there's another snow storm coming which can delay deliveries.

FWIW, this thread on ford trucks, featuring some familiar folks did have a bunch of info that seemed accurate to the point of reflecting all my observations:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...one-right.html

Old 03-28-2023, 10:55 AM   #50

My Redhead box would not return to center when I first put it in and I was instructed by them to loosen the adjustment. It took slightly less than half a turn to loosen up and return to center. It was ok for a couple years but now it’s too loose, so yesterday I tightened it a quarter turn but I haven’t driven it yet. After talking with them several times, they sent me another one, so if the adjustment doesn’t help, I’ll replace it and the noisy pump too. If they hadn’t sent me another one, I’d be trying one of the new ones referenced above.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote