Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #11

Our 2005 E350 RB50 was stolen a few years ago, right after we finally got everything sorted out. It just vanished into thin air. We now have a SPOT Trace hidden in the Sprinter that we replaced the stolen van with. I do have to change the batteries every few months, but it works great, giving me an alert every time the van moves. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to hide one or two Apple AirTags in a van. Any time an iPhone gets near them it would upload the location. Has anyone be tried that?

Viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #12

Thanks Greg

I looked at devices that could block incoming and outgoing signals. Like Greg, said there are lots of devices that sellers claim can be used to jam signals. And, they are cheap. Not sure, but at one time these products were illegal.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #13

The issue with ford e series and f series is that many are not equipped from the factory with fords PATS (passive anti theft system) which requires a coded RFID key to start the vehicle. Without this basically a thief can find a means to “mechanically” turn the ignition lock and the vehicle will start. If you own a vehicle that does not have PATS you need a method to interrupt the ignition or fuel/spark circuit. This could be an aftermarket alarm with ignition cut or a hidden fuel spark cut switch.

Not sure about the specific issues with the sprinters but a quick google search will reveal vehicles of all manufacturers with push button start circuits being wirelessly hot wired by thieves scanning for keys in your house recording the response applying that response to the vehicle and driving away.
waren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #14

Garage
easiest way to prevent it from being moved is to trip the fuel system inertia switch in the passenger kick panel. Simply bump the kickpanel with a rubber mallet and the inertia switch will deactivate the fuel system. Not too many crooks in the heat of the moment would look to that as the reason a vehicle wouldn't start. The engine will crank freely but will not fire. I did alarms for many many years and none of these vans are all that challenging to jump start or hot wire. Just my thoughts....

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote