Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Anybody from British Columbia?

Hi anybody on here from BC? I'm getting my Van 4x4 converted by advance 4x4 this fall and was wondering of anybody had experience with ICBC inspection needs post conversion?

Cheers
Chantal

Whistler40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #2

Re: Anybody from British Columbia?

The only thing that really seems to cause problems is if your vehicle was sold as "incomplete" to an aftermarket up fitter. If not, no problems. Even if it is an "incomplete" vehicle the issues can be resolved.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #3

I'm from North Vancouver. I imported my E350 into Canada from Oregon. Fairly straightforward process. Had to get the van inspected before registering & insuring with ICBC. Canadian Tire is authorized to perform inspections for the Registrar of Import Vehicles.

However, I'm not sure if the process is the same for a 4x4 conversion. I assume the van itself is a Canadian vehicle?

Good luck.

Brent
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

If the van was a Canadian registered vehicle and all you were doing was converting it to 4-wheel drive, I can't imagine any reason to even mention it to ICBC or anyone else. Would anyone care? I have a 4-wheel drive pickup registered in BC and there's no mention of it on the ICBC papers.
Bill
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
I can't imagine any reason to even mention it to ICBC
Well, it will change the value of the vehicle. She'd at least want to increase her coverage.

Brent
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

The Van was purchased in Canada, and I'm just getting the conversion done in the US.
I was wondering if I needed to get it re-inspected and registered as a modified vehicle ?
I had asked a converter in BC (chiliwack) who said there is no inspection need after the conversion, yet ICBC lists a specific class "modified vehicle", which appears to include aftermarket 4x4 conversions ? So needless to say confusing!

And yes I def would plan to get the value upted and likely add private complete loss insurance as well. (my van is a 2008 so ICBC won't cover it)
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I hadn't thought about that. I always hate telling them (the gov.) anything; they always seem to find a way to use it to their benefit (By extracting some of my money)...
Bill
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #8

If it needs an inspection after the conversion, to satisfy ICBC, it will have to be done by a "Government approved inspection facility." Most shops have this accreditation, so just take it to an independent shop that you trust. When a mechanic signs off on an inspection, he puts his Inspector's Certificate on the line, so you may want to establish a relationship with the shop before just showing up with a converted van. Of course you might just have to pay the HST at the border and nothing else.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

Thanks everybody!!..I will have he guys in SLC give me an invoice for the parts and pay HST on the border and have Canadian Tire do the inspection. If ICBC doesn't need it fine, but at least I'll have the paperwork if there ever is a problem.

Cheers
Chantal