Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #1

Anybody use a lock right locker

Just curious. Thinking of going that route instead of an ARB.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #2

Re: Anybody use a lock right locker

I have a lock rite in my landcruiser, it works great. I have it in the front diff. I have an ARB in the rear.
I would not put a full time locker in the rear, you get some handling issues with the rear end locked up on pavement.

davef
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

Interesting. I wasn't even sure you could put a LockRight in the front.

And you've had no issues with the ARB?

I had an eLocker in my Tacoma, and it saved my butt once, but I don't love the E part of it. I have just heard about some issues with the ARBs failing.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
And you've had no issues with the ARB?
I have had zero problems......but there are things that can fail....compressor, air lines, power to the compressor.

I am not sure what else is available as far as lockers......I thought at one time some one made a cable locker.

If the E locker failed could you climb under the vehical and manualy engage it??

DAVEF
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Sure there are things that can fail with an ARB, and I tend toward the side of KISS, but of any failures I've ever heard of with an ARB, they've always been because of installation errors (air line too close to the exhaust, not enough slack in the air line to account for axle articulation,...).

Ox makes a cable actuated locker. I think Ox was bought out some years back when they were about to go under. Nice, simple , sturdy design, but limited applications last time I checked some years back.

Herb
Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #6

I may go with the ARB if I can find one. I'm having Quadvans do my conversion - it'll be a while before I get to the interior, but I'll have the 4x4 system at least - and if I want to go with the OX system, which looks pretty cool, they'd have to put in a full floating rear due to the spline count. I could get one used, but I'm just not sure how much I can spend, so I might have to go with no lockers. I'm talking to them today.

One thing I do now want is LSD in the back. I'm in the east with a lot of snow and have heard it can cause problems.

I'll keep you all posted.

Even with the e-Locker, I'm going to miss the Toyota. And, no, I don't think I can go underneath and just engage it, although I do know where it sits on the diff.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

I think a LSD on snow is perfect. A locker on snow can be OK, a locker on ice = accident.

Herb
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
I may go with the ARB if I can find one. I'm having Quadvans do my conversion - it'll be a while before I get to the interior, but I'll have the 4x4 system at least - and if I want to go with the OX system, which looks pretty cool, they'd have to put in a full floating rear due to the spline count. I could get one used, but I'm just not sure how much I can spend, so I might have to go with no lockers. I'm talking to them today.
Last week John at QuadVan showed be how he gets a D80 carrier in a Dana 60, so chances are no need for an axle swap. But they'll give you the options.

They had a van there with front and rear ARB lockers last week (shiny new 2010). Pretty sweat setup.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #9

So, I definitely am going with e-lockers front and rear.

The TrueTrac looked interesting but, by the time I had discovered it, they had already ordered the parts at Quadvan for the two lockers. I'm on a deadline for this, so I don't want to mess around. I also like selectable front and rear, so I'm happy. The big question now is the rear axle.

They did not mention to me putting a Dana 80 carrier in a Dana 60. We were looking at a low miles used 35 spline from a scrapyard if we had to. Those guys are the experts, though. I am not inept, but I am not a serious wrencher. Woodworking is my talent.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #10

After speaking more with John at Quadvan, here is what I am settling on finally:

1. Front - stock axle, with the Quadvan conversion, obviously, along with an E-Locker.

2. Rear - a used, low-miles Dana 60 full floater, 35 spline, with a TrueTrac inside.

I am excited.