Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

Atlas II Rear Yoke Leak

There have been some questions of the reliability and potential for service for the SMB 4x4 setup since it has aftermarket parts.

I noticed that my Atlas was down about an 1" in fluid, and the lower part of the tube was wet so I assumed a leaky level tube. When I got under the van however, there was a drip coming off the yoke and a clear spray pattern radially around the yoke (crossmember, exhaust, fueltank). It looks like it's been slow and steady for some time.

The PO had clearly had this problem, as the bottom section of the Atlas was cleaned off and there is some teflon tape on the lower level tube threads. It's hard to say whether the lower attachment is leaking as the whole tube and face was in the spray zone and gravity of course makes it look like the leak is at the housing.

Anyway, I called AdvanceAdaptors the people who make the Atlas Tcases and explained the leak. The guy said it could be one of 3 things (being that it was coming from the center of the rear yoke).

1. The yoke nut was loose. It needs to be torqued to 155ft-lbs.
2. The yoke nut was bad. Replacement part is Chrysler #4167924
3. The sun shaped washer that goes in the yoke splines was bad, or more likely, had been put on without RTV sealant. Also a stock Chrysler part #4210973

If the 1 1/8" nut was loose I wanted to be prepared, so I bought the washer and a new nut at my local Jeep Dealer. They had one but not the other, so I had to wait a day for one to come from Phoenix.

Anyway after I removed the driveshaft I found that the nut was barely finger tight, and so tightened it 155 ft-lbs (which was the top setting on my good torque wrench).

I'm going to drain and fill and replace the teflon tape probably, and hopefully that will end it. If not the parts were only $8 together, so I will keep them on hand. Then again they were $8 and readily available, I think I'll just return them if it's not leaking immediately.

This was a repair that would be easily handled by any mechanic and the parts are standard Chrysler parts so I'd say the whole thing was a definite plus in the aftermarket serviceability column.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Advance Adapters is a couple of hours north of me, in Paso Robles. I went there a few years back to pick up my Atlas t/c for my Bronco. They gave me a nice tour of their shop while I was there. I've never seen to much CNC'd aluminum in my life. It was a beautiful sight.

Herb
Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #3

I love my Atlases. It's too bad the other one is sitting on my trailer waiting to go in the TJ...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Yeah, I have 2 out of my 4 vehicles with an Atlas. I do wish I had a four speed Atlas in my Bronco though....

Herb
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Re: Atlas II Rear Yoke Leak

Have I mentioned I love this forum!

Quote:
The sun shaped washer that goes in the yoke splines was bad, or more likely, had been put on without RTV sealant. Also a stock Chrysler part #4210973
Jage,
Do you recall where the RTV sealant goes on the rubber washer? On the TC side, The nut side, or around the perimeter? EDIT - never mind. It's pretty obvious.

While doing an oil change yesterday I noticed my TC was spraying fluid around from the yolk. Sure enough, the nut was loose. The rubber (sun shaped) washer looks worse for wear so going to find a new one.

Looks like I have the same leaking from the front output as well. I'll check that out next. EDIT - Front is loose as well. Can't find any of the "sun washers" today, so cleaning up the old and applying RTV to get me through this trip.

I think I need to add checking torque on these two nuts once a year.

Thanks,
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Phil, I THINK Atlas came out with a fix for this happening...I had that a few problems as you are having and if I recall correctly, I was told they made some changes so you might want to check.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #7

Thanks Dave,

I'll contact them and see what they say.

Phil

Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

yeah, please post back on what you find. I'd like to know for sure myself.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #9

Just talked to a guy at Advance Adapters. He said key is clean the threads and spline well, silicon on spline and around rubber washer, get known good compression nut and use loctite on the threads - torque to 150 ftlb.

Cause of loosening is most likely a slightly out of balance drive shaft (even a ding can cause it. I have noticed that I lost a welded on washer (weight) on my drive shaft. That may have helped it losen up.

Phil

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

The Atlas Applications Guide (page 26) says:

Quote:
Once the bolts are in place, a new lock nut should always be installed and torqued to 150 ft./lbs. to secure the yoke to the transfer case.
If any yoke nut is ever removed from the shaft for any reason, it should always be replaced with a new one. When installing a new yoke, the rubber seal washer should be used along with a small amount of silicon to prevent oil leakage down the shaft splines.
There's lots of good stuff in the Applications Guide.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote