Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

Atlas Transfer case Fluid

Just a note for the record. I have been very careful watching the sight tube/fluid level and never actually filling above the SMB level. Just returned from a 2k mile trip, never off road,or using 4WD yet the overflow tube puked out some gear oil. I have read the other threads and am baffled> The only reason it seems could be heat/expansion in the case while at highway speeds.

Now that I am home I will untie the overflow tube and look at the tube end fittting to see what is going on. Can this fitting age and allow the fluid to escape? any clues will be appreciated. The fluid level is now not even showing on the tube! I may end up draining all the fluid just to determine how much is left in there.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Re: Atlas Transfer case Fluid

The mysterious atlas leak. I have read up on the issue as I have one as well. Seems there are several possible leak points. If it is a truly large amount of oil gone I would look at the seal between the transfer case and transmission. I have also heard of them burping some but not as much as you describe. When I talked to Atlas they said that is very uncommon as I asked them many questions about leaks.

I finally pinpointed mine to a very small leak (you can see the drop of oil bottom left on the transfer case). I called Atlas and they sent me out 2 seals to replace the existing seals. I took the part out and replaced the seals and it stopped almost all of it. Now it is so minimal it is not worth watching. It wasn't that much to begin with. Yours sounds like a lot more than mine ever was.

You can see the oil is down a little on the site tube after 5000 miles so I am talking a very small leak! Took me awhile to pinpoint it. Mine leaked from the circle in the middle of the pic with the black screw holding it in. Good luck diagnosing it and write up what you find.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #3

Thanks, will keep ya posted/
Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #4

Roonie,
I like how clean your TC is, wow.

How hard is it to change the seals? I have a slight leak and want to do that with my next fluid change.
steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #5

Mine leaked only on one side. It was fairly easy to change the seals out. Take off the black screw on both sides of the TC. Pound the circle on the opposite side with something that won't scratch it up. The circle is a steel cylinder that has two o rings on both ends for a total of 4 seals. Pound it out far enough to take off old seals and put the new ones on. Pound it back and replace screws. Simple as that. Atlas did give me the seal part number but no auto store could recognize the number so I finally had atlas send me the 50 cent seals for 5$.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote