Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Bad Transmission

Never saw it coming although have heard stories. My 2001 E350 7.3L transmission took a big ol'
S@!T today. With only 66K on the van it decided to quit. Only good about all this was that I had taken the van to work to clean it and get it packed for Baja the following day. On my way home to get family heard kind of a popping sound as if my 4x4 shift lever had been popped in or out. So pulled over shifted through all gears in and out of 4 wheel acted fine. Went to get onto lovely 405 fwy when it began. Motor winded out to about 3100 rpm then would shift (not a hard shift)only through 1st and 2nd once I got up to speed 65 or 70 cruised along like nothing was wrong. Although noticed shift overdrive light in gear selector "flashing". Well I guess I'm another statistic.

You are probably wondering, yes did a transflush at 49,850 and also have an aftermarket cooler with aux. fan. But from what I hear and read this is the weak link. The transmission that is.

Any advice on good shops or rebuild recommendations would be much appreciated as I always get great feedback from everyone here. By the way I live in So. Cal. but am always willing to go the extra mile for some quality work.

Thanks,
Scott

lazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Bad Transmission

Sorry to hear about that trans.

I had a similar experience with mine dying 3-4 yrs ago..E40D, going up Big Bear, Ca.
Most likely my fault for adding larger tires with a tall gear ratio..and inadequate trans cooling.

With that opportunity, made it better by getting a new one in for about $4000.00 built extra heavy duty with Steel Planetary 6 pinion (instead of aluminum), new valvebody springs, new accumulator body, new TransGo Shift Kit, new Solenoid Pack, new clutches, new Torque convertor longer filter that worked with a deeper trans pan (Derale Tubulator) and also adding an extra BMRacing Cooler (now with BMRacking Trans Cooler with Fan/Thermostat Switch).

I had initially called around for prices but everyone wanted more to make it bulletproof and attitude and I ended up using Orange Transmissions in Orange, Ca and had no issues with the rebuild. Expediately rebuilt in less then a week, kinda neat that they let me check out the old one pulled on their bench, looking for the defect. Nice Guys.
I think my lead tech who was burly trans guru, named Jose and the magic word for him is "bulletproof".
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #3

Re: Bad Transmission

I have a buddy who had his rebuilt by this place and has been very happy.
http://www.brianstruckshop.com/
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote