Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Ball Joints (not tie rod ends)

The SMB has been the best investment I have made in the past 20 years but the Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 front end is not as durable as I had hoped. I have around 110K on my Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 front end. I have had to rebuild almost all of the steering components, replace all the bearings and axle gasket, and replaced one spindle on the front axle. So far it has cost me over $2000 to do repairs on the Dynatrac front end (got stuck in Pahrump with a failed outer bearing).

I now need to replace the ball joints (not the tie rod ends). The list of parts on the forum includes Spicer number 707238X for the ball joints. Is this correct?

Anyone know of an upgrade for the Dynatrac ball joints? I don't want to go back to NAPA (see note below). Should I order them from Dynatrac? Does Sprotsmobile West stock and ship ball joints? If not, any suggestions where I can purchase a full set of ball joints?

NOTE: The threaded section of the tie rod ends I bought from NAPA (MOOG number was correct) were about 1/2" shorter than the originals. They work but I am not really comfortable with them. The thread "bite" on the tie rod is less than what the originals provided.

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

Re: Ball Joints (not tie rod ends)

I don't know about your part #'s but a bolt is holding at its full strength when the nut covers the bolt a distance equal to the diameter. As far as wheel bearings go, when did you re pack them last?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip about the bolt. I think that the NAPA tie rod ends bairley meet that requirement. The bearings were replaced/repacked last winter after the outer bearing disintegrated. When investigating the problem, I found out that we should have them repacked every 15K. It is probably in one of the manuals but I must have missed it. Mine were overdue.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #4

Try these also from Dynatrac. A rebuildable combo its a mix between a Kingpin (stronger than Balljoints) and a Balljoint. They fit in the Balljoint pocket but are stronger. They are my next upgrade.
http://www.dynatrac.com/products_proste ... oints.html
Old 08-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #5

They need to seriously consider Dana 80's front & rear. Yes, at first, they seem VERY expensive. But factor in the reliability factor & saving $2-3000 per axle on a total rebuild front & rear every 50-100,000 miles, it has to be in the same ballpark ??? It is a worst nightmare getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, the desert temps, snow, the freezing cold, ect.. . Sorry for your troubles. Try to upgrade the front end parts as you go. I don't have a SMB yet, but am in the same boat with my Power Wagon. $3500 in new, stronger, greaseable, rebuildable parts, & I am not done yet.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Might help
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=907

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with the new Dynatrac ball joints even though they are $600. I have talked to several people who have looked at them closely and they think that they are worth it. I am hoping that they will last for another 90K. I hope to avoid replacing another set of front tires as they cost around $600. I will have a local mechanic do the work. He has a Ford E350 that he has converted to a 4X4 using a Dynatrac front end. One of the few in Carson City who has worked on a Dynatrac. Total will be around $1300.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #8

Trent Fabrication in Reno did the ball joint replacement for $458 on the labor and billed me for the retail cost for the parts. Sears in Reno followed the SMB specs for the alignment and offered a good price for tires.

Dynatrac did not have a set of their new wonder ball joints in stock so I had to go with the Spicers. I had Trent Fabricators change the ball joints. They race with Dana 60 front ends. Good place to get work done on our vans & prices are much more reasonable than any of the garages in the region.

Had the front end aligned by Actiom Frame shop in Carson City. Each of our vans has its own unique caster and camber settings. Action did not have the correct specs for the caster or camber so the van pulled to the right. Heber fax'd the front end alignment specs for my van. Took it to Reno Sears. They did the alignment corectly. Bought 4 BFG 285/75/16 LRE from Sears at $1100.