Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Get the 09 no questions. The best 4x4 van is the one someone else has sorted out unless you REALLY want to do that yourself. You can barely buy the ujoint kit and have it installed for $20k. So everything else is basically free on that van. Heck, just in wheels and tires after the conversion you’ll be in it $2500.
Absolutely. It looks like a great deal.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Get the 09 no questions. The best 4x4 van is the one someone else has sorted out unless you REALLY want to do that yourself. You can barely buy the ujoint kit and have it installed for $20k. So everything else is basically free on that van. Heck, just in wheels and tires after the conversion you’ll be in it $2500.
Unfortunately it's in Tucson, AZ. I talked to the owner a few hours ago and he already has people driving down from Phoenix to see it in the morning. I'd have to jump on a $250 flight in the morning and I wouldn't be there until late afternoon. I asked him to let me know if he still has it tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get snapped up quick.
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:49 AM   #13

FYI - spoke to a very knowledgeable guy I know who knows the E Series inside about mechanically - engine, drivetrain, body. He is in SoCal.

He says he has already done a few UJOR Kit installs on vans he has bought, refurbed and upgraded. I asked if he would consider doing installs for others and he said he would. So, looks like there may be a SoCal installation option. PM me if interested.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I would look for a 97 or newer Ford Van. You would get more power and OBDII. The 5.8 in the older vans are underpowered and the the 7.5 is good on power but prone to exhaust manifold issues.
Read this 7 or 8 times and don't buy a Ford older than 97. There are lots more reasons than Mikracer said but those are the most important.

I think your budget is just too low for your goal. It's a sad reality of life for a lot of us. Keep waiting, looking and saving. The 2009 will be gone quickly.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #15

For posterity

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5280.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	34518
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #16

You can prolly find some budget numbers in this link. A DIY kit using the MG kit is probably one of, if not the least expensive to convert a ford van to a 4x4 with a decent reliable system.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...are-22440.html
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Read this 7 or 8 times and don't buy a Ford older than 97. There are lots more reasons than Mikracer said but those are the most important.

I think your budget is just too low for your goal. It's a sad reality of life for a lot of us. Keep waiting, looking and saving. The 2009 will be gone quickly.
I'm guessing the Phoenix people gave a lowball offer, he still had it Saturday afternoon. I was in Chicago when I found out (the GMC Savana Quigley I flew there to see had a bunch of issues I wasn't gonna accept). Flew from Chicago to Denver to Tucson Saturday night and gave him a cash deposit at 8am today. His van is in great shape, I'll pay him the balance tomorrow after the banks open.
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #18

This is an awesome ending to a great story.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
I'm guessing the Phoenix people gave a lowball offer, he still had it Saturday afternoon. I was in Chicago when I found out (the GMC Savana Quigley I flew there to see had a bunch of issues I wasn't gonna accept). Flew from Chicago to Denver to Tucson Saturday night and gave him a cash deposit at 8am today. His van is in great shape, I'll pay him the balance tomorrow after the banks open.

Nice!!! Happy to hear that it sounds like it's going to work out for you!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #20

Very nice! Congrats on putting it together. Let us know more after you get it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote