Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedujam View Post
Thanks to freeagent, there's another contender:

2001 GMC Savana Quigley high roof, 76k miles, cargo van, very basic, $14000

Thoughts?
Beware that the older GM Quigleys were solid-axle as well, with all the same problems with insufficient bump-travel. But also worse because they used the same driver-side drop as the Fords, so nothing is even GM standard at that point besides the brakes (which they also put on the Fords). And the pre-LS powertrains in the GMs left a lot to be desired in stock form. For a short time, they offered both suspensions but I don't think that started until '03.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #22

Great news! keep us posted and share your progress if you decide to do a build up.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #23

1996 Ford E350 all the way

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/at...pic10866_2.gif
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #24

Quote:
I'm guessing the Phoenix people gave a lowball offer, he still had it Saturday afternoon. I was in Chicago when I found out (the GMC Savana Quigley I flew there to see had a bunch of issues I wasn't gonna accept). Flew from Chicago to Denver to Tucson Saturday night and gave him a cash deposit at 8am today. His van is in great shape, I'll pay him the balance tomorrow after the banks open.
Well don't leave us hanging...pics or it didn't happen!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Well don't leave us hanging...pics or it didn't happen!
She drove fine from Tucson, with a hiccup at the first gas station when I discovered the owner didn't give me the gas cap key. I'm up in the mountains in northern New Mexico with basically no cell/wifi service, but here's a quick vid.

[youtube]
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm looking at two vans right now:

2001 GMC Savana Quigley high roof, 76k miles, cargo van, very basic, $14000

or

1996 E350 extended high roof wheelchair van, 102k, power everything, $5500

My goal was an extended high top 4x4 van, under 100k miles, for $15000. I like the Savana Quigley 4x4, but it's not extended. If I can get the E350 converted to 4x4 for under $10k, I'd probably buy it, but all the quotes I see for 4x4 conversions range from $8 -25k.

Advice?
Hey you sound exactly like the man I am looking for. Hallelujah lol. Was the gmc van at Westin auto sales in braidwood illinois. I put in an offer yesterday. A full offer of 14990. He told me offer fell through. Also that he was about to raise bc all the flak and interest he was getting on van. After I said I wanted he informed front ac is giving out. The top ac does not work unless on shore power or generator. Mind you in pictures it looks as if it has both. I live in Florida so no way can I do without ac. I fell for his pressure tactics. No deposit yet don’t worry. However I am still very interested. He could tell me nothing except shore power was removed and that it did not have a generator. I asked if it was as simple as just adding one as it looks as if it is an onboard system. There are vents on drivers side of van where it goes. If this is the same van please let me know. I know more money will have to go into it. I am ok with it if I can get these two things fixed. So I don’t die of heat exhaustion while getting her up to snuff. Would love to hear from you if you don’t want to post here. Was planning on paying for a mechanic to check. Also have a call into sportsmobile with vin to see if it is actually one of there builds. Tks Dennis 850-292-9037 or sullys1daddy@gmail.com
Sullysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullysdaddy View Post
Hey you sound exactly like the man I am looking for. Hallelujah lol. Was the gmc van at Westin auto sales in braidwood illinois. I put in an offer yesterday. A full offer of 14990. He told me offer fell through. Also that he was about to raise bc all the flak and interest he was getting on van. After I said I wanted he informed front ac is giving out. The top ac does not work unless on shore power or generator. Mind you in pictures it looks as if it has both. I live in Florida so no way can I do without ac. I fell for his pressure tactics. No deposit yet don’t worry. However I am still very interested. He could tell me nothing except shore power was removed and that it did not have a generator. I asked if it was as simple as just adding one as it looks as if it is an onboard system. There are vents on drivers side of van where it goes. If this is the same van please let me know. I know more money will have to go into it. I am ok with it if I can get these two things fixed. So I don’t die of heat exhaustion while getting her up to snuff. Would love to hear from you if you don’t want to post here. Was planning on paying for a mechanic to check. Also have a call into sportsmobile with vin to see if it is actually one of there builds. Tks Dennis 850-292-9037 or sullys1daddy@gmail.com
Are you sure it was not extended though? When I pulled up vin it said it was. Like you I was looking for a topper not necessarily a 4x4 just added bonus. Also wants the 3500 Chevy extended. So I could make a back bed crossways. I am only five eight. Gmc savanna I think is basically same van. Like this engine better than 5.4 . Just bought a new engine for daughters 1998 ford sportsmobile.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Are you sure it was not extended though? When I pulled up vin it said it was. Like you I was looking for a topper not necessarily a 4x4 just added bonus. Also wants the 3500 Chevy extended. So I could make a back bed crossways. I am only five eight. Gmc savanna I think is basically same van. Like this engine better than 5.4 . Just bought a new engine for daughters 1998 ford sportsmobile.
You would be crazy to pay anything over $12k for that Savanna Quigley.

- When I showed up they were replacing the battery...with another used battery...with long terminal bolts that didn't really fit and I'm betting will eventually ground on the chassis after hitting a big bump. They told me someone must have left the interior lights on all night. Right.
- The roof a/c unit doesn't run without a generator and they don't know if it works because they've never tested it.
- When they told me it was ready for a test drive, I noticed the "new" battery was sliding around in the engine bay. They were annoyed that I made them take 10 minutes to find some way to strap it down.
- The rear bumper opens and has a telescoping lift. Or jack. They don't know what it is. The bumper doesn't fold all the way down and obstructs the back doors from opening. I made them zip tie it down so I could check the doors.
- It has a nice Warn winch, which doesn't work. They first told me it was just missing the cable, but I later found out the motor is bad.
- It also has a lot of scrapes, bumps, dings and other cosmetic stuff you can't see in the pics.
- They let me take it for a test drive (without any plates) and I got pulled over when I passed a cop. Really nice sitting around in the 90 degree heat in a giant hot box while the cop verified my story.
- The factory a/c system blows hot air and has what I was told were "compressor issues". They also told me that they pulled it into a bay to check it out and it wouldn't start again. I bailed at that point.

I don't know for sure if it actually had a starter problem. My gut feeling was that they didn't want to lower the price for the a/c system and just wanted me gone so they could sucker someone else in. They told me they'd text me when the a/c system/starter was fixed and I haven't heard a word from them since last week.

Bottom line, if you can get the a/c fixed and the electrical/system issues nailed down for $2k, it's probably a deal at $12k. But the sales guy (Andy) isn't gonna tell you anything is wrong with it and they obviously never did any kind of test drive before they listed it. This dealership mainly sells used big specialty trucks to people who don't care about a/c or cosmetic issues. If you want to look at it, take a mechanic with you, unless you trust someone in Braidwood (which is a $180 round trip Uber from O'Hare).
Old 07-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #29

Thanks a million you saved me big time! Kind of figured most of this . Reason I have spent days researching and found you. Whoo hoo. When I get my ride will hit you up on the road and buy you dinner or maybe a hotel lol Dennis
Old 07-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks a million you saved me big time! Kind of figured most of this . Reason I have spent days researching and found you. Whoo hoo. When I get my ride will hit you up on the road and buy you dinner or maybe a hotel lol Dennis
No prob. Used car salesman must really hate social media and car forums.