Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Banks Exhaust, 460, Quigley

Info online is pretty limited on what I'm looking for. I have this 95 460 SMB Quigley with only 20k miles and I'm wanting to keep my eyes open on Ebay, etc. for upgrades.
I have a long list of things to do to the van, but one thing i KNOW from my 2 previous EFI 460s is that they are very corked from the factory and very prone to manifold leaks/problems.
So far, Banks Power has been somewhat helpful, but only somewhat because they haven't supported the 460 in 10-15 years. I know there are still lots of kits out there online for 460s. I'm wanting to know others experience, even if it's a MH or van you had years ago.

What I've been told by Banks: The 460 F-series pickup stuff won't work.
The 460 class A motorhome stuff won't work.
The class C kit (which I thought would be a no brainer since it's still a van cab) won't work on a Quigley. Anyone know why? They haven't answered that yet and don't know if they will, or even can. What will it hit and where? Can it be easily modified?

Still not sure if a Stinger (their cat-back system) would work, they haven't answered that.
Still not sure if their intake will help. I'm sure that will fit but does it gain you much?

My end goal is more power and NOT more noise. That's why I'm thinking of Banks. Their quality is legendary and I don't particularly want to just have a local muffler shop try to piece together something untried that might work. Tried that years ago and never again had a quiet exhaust system.

Discuss…………..

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #2

Re: Banks Exhaust, 460, Quigley

The headers on the Powerpack need the same space the front driveshaft does.

If you really want headers, you'll have to just try some F-series shorty headers, but keep in mind shorty headers don't add any low-end torque and sometimes can reduce it slightly (while increasing upper RPM HP though).

Stinger kit should work just fine since the cat-back nothing is different on a 4x4.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Thanks carringb, the stinger kits look pretty impressive on the dyno chart. Do you recommend the Banks Ram air too? Looks like the Stinger is sold with or without the ram air/air filter.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Thanks carringb, the stinger kits look pretty impressive on the dyno chart. Do you recommend the Banks Ram air too? Looks like the Stinger is sold with or without the ram air/air filter.
Yes, the old V8s were pretty choked up in the intake department. I'm sure the Banks Ram air would help. On my '94 I did my own setup by removing the restrictor cone, trimming the baffle in the air box, and may a ram-air scoop using some clothes drier vent parts.

The "ram" part won't make a difference at van speeds, but pulling in cool air instead of hot under-hood air makes big difference when towing.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

PS - here's a solution to the leaky stock manifolds:
http://catalog.remflex.com/
Old 11-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Cool, thanks for the link. With so few miles I don't expect problems with mine for awhile, I just wish I could replace the ENTIRE exhaust system which already has a decent coat of rust on it. I will most likely just do a Stinger though until mine get bad, which probably won't be within my ownership of the van. I don't tend to keep anything that long. Also, I still live by the advice some old school motorhome guys gave me when I had my first 460 class C, which is to idle awhile before shutdown after towing/climbing or in summer to cool things down a bit instead of just shutting down and starting up hot routinely. Knowing what I know now about how much heat is trapped in a van I will probably just pop the hood for a few minutes when I stop too, as long as it's convenient to do so. I can see my wife shaking her head now.