Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Bent Axle Housing

I have a 2014 Ford E-350 Super Duty, EB, Quigley conversion, V-10 gas. This is a big, heavy van.

The passenger side rear tire wore out only on the inside, the outside was still brand-new. The alignment guy told me that the rear housing was bent. I have no idea how this happened as I only travel (so far) on relatively mild dirt roads.

So, it appears that this needs to be either straightened or replaced. My usual mechanic says that straightening it and replacing it with a used unit will cost about the same overall, but he worries that a straightened housing will just bend again. I find used rear-ends all over the country on eBay but I am reluctant to purchase such a thing with little recourse if it didn't work out.

Also, I was wondering about some kind of stiffener welded on that housing once it is replaced or repaired and if that might prevent a future repeat event.

I'm here looking for advice from folks who know vastly more than I do about all of this, so thanks in advance...

palsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #2

The axle housing are nearly impossible to bend aside from a serious collision. But you do need a new axle ASAP. What's really going is bearing and/or axle-shaft wear. This is still because your van is too heavy. Really, all EB camper vans should be upgraded to full-floating axles IMO. In your case, having the Quigley setup, using a Sterling axle from an F250 will be the best match, and will allow your rear track width and bolt pattern to match without adapters.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your axle. I had a inner "C" get pigged out on my front axle. I heard it from most experts that this "never happens"??? It was recommended to replace the axle housing. I found one online from a salvage for $200.00. $300.00 delivered. Swapped everything from the old and so far so good. I'm sure you can find one closer but these guys were really great to work with https://daurioauto.com
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

Yep, I had the same thing happen on my 04 SMB E350 and it wasn't the housing. The axle was failing because it was a semi-float. An upgrade to a salvaged full float is easy and relatively affordable.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

I do know that UJoint off road takes the Sterling one step further and fully welds the axle tubes to the differential housing for their 4x4 conversions.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #6

I'm going to call Agile Off-Road on Monday, they are only about 30 minutes away from me. If they can't fix me up I'll have to go to plan B... which has not yet been formalized... thanks to all responders, I'm convinced that the housing is probably not bent at all...
palsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

If it were my van, I'd be hesitant to attribute or accept a diagnosis attributing weird rear tire wear to a bent axle housing, without a thorough investigation.

I'm not dismissing it, my Suzuki Samurai project turned out to have a bent rear axle housing, but there are so many other things that can cause that same symptom.

I'd want to investigate further before swapping out the rear housing.