Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #1

BFG Sidewall Issues

I just purchased an 03 SMB Ford V10 4x4 in San Diego w/27000miles. It has BFG 285/75R16 AT's on it.
On the drive back to Tucson the right front tire went flat. It wasn't a blowout, and I didn't run over anything, but but there are 2 rips opposite of each other in the sidewall just below the tread.
After reading the earlier posts about side wall issues on these tires I'm wondering if I should change to a different tire.
These are the orginal tires w/ plenty of tread but they are 5 years old.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bob in Tucson

Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Hey there Bob in Tucson,

I've run those very same tires on my 3/4 ton diesel for the past 12yrs with no problem whatsoever...not even a flat...knock on wood! I had well over 80,000 on the first 4 I ran on. I can't offer an explanation for what happened to yours but if you have an uneasy feeling about that brand it might be better to look into another choice...just to put your mind at ease.

Ric
Old 03-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #3

Usually when you have sidewalls tears opposite each other it was caused by hitting something (4x4 on road, curb, pothole, etc.) hard enough to pinch the tire between the obstacle and the rim. Low tire pressure makes it much easier to do. The tears can show much later. Maybe even the previous owner did it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #4

Sounds like old age to me. If the van sat for a year in the sun it is possible the sidewall failed because of exposure and not being driven. It's a guess but if the van was only driven 5400 miles a year it did some sitting. I'd check everything rubber that moves before you head out for your first adventure. I would even consider having all belts replaced and carry a spare set of radiator hoses.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn2daBone
Hey there Bob in Tucson,

I've run those very same tires on my 3/4 ton diesel for the past 12yrs with no problem whatsoever...
I run BFGs on my Jeep Wrangler that did duty on my Cherokee both on and offroad before life on the Wrangler... so since 1998. That would be 10 year old tires. Since then I've had 4 failures of BFGs that were made in the last 5 years, all after the AT/KO switch (Technically 3 failures and a manufacturing defect that I'm driving around with) but the BFGs on my Wrangler are still going strong... so to me that says they made their tires a lot better 10 and 12 years ago!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #6

From a VP at Goodyear, if I remember the stat correctly, a tire looses 50% of its strength after three years. That includes an unused/stored tire. Sounds like a new set of tires is in order.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #7

Old tires

Does that mean the load rating is reduced by 1/2 after three years? I hope not... Lawsuits would be plentyful.

UV light is hard on tires,but if they are kept in a cool, dry, dark place they should last at least 5 years.(I hope so because I've got three sets laying around the shop. 15 tires) By the way ( as everyone on this forum knows)
I think BFGs are junk.. I'am a Toyos M/T fan..

Jeff
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #8

There are a lot of lawsuits and I think that is part of the reason the tire industry is making such claims (plus it pays if people switch out tires more frequently). Also, I've read several times where tire industry types are claiming five years (some case seven years) is the expected life of a tire used on a RV. I think the RV tire issue comes up more because often the vehicle sits, while the tires rot, even though the tread is in good shape. My understanding is when tires are being used regularly, atmosphere protecting oils work their way to the outside of the tire (protecting the sidewall). When tires are just sitting, the protective oils (or whatever it is), dissapate and are not replenished through use. Sun and smog obviously play a role as well.

I agree with you on the Toyos. Right now, I have D load Yokes (a highway pattern). When I picked up my SMB, the rear tires (Yokes) were near new. The fronts, Gallstones, where shot. Had to get home and M/Ts weren't available. Decided to match the rears and will replace when its time with the Toyo M/Ts in an E load. Since I have two spares with matching rims, I'll be buying six tires when the time comes (so I can rotate through the spares). That will be an expensive day.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #9

Total hijack, but I see you're a bike freak as well, Jeff. Moab, May 3rd with your KTM in tow. Be there. Ahola.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #10

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by.

See you out on the trail.

Bob in Tucson