Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #11

Garage
May want to consider using a stage 8 fastener on the spindles - https://www.amazon.com/Stage-DNA-60-.../dp/B00776GZF4

Old 12-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #12

These instructions are off of the Dynatrac web page. Steve said that the old style Dynatrac ProRoc 60 is the strongest they have produced. It appears that we are not checking the torque on the bearings often enough. The instructions for maintaining the hubs are on the Dynatrac Ford Free Spin PDF instructions for installing and maintaining the hubs.

Proper Wheel Bearing Maintenance:

1. NORMAL CONDITIONS - Inspect and/or adjust front wheel bearing assemblies
every 30 months or 30,000 miles whichever comes first.

2. Harsh conditions may require more frequent attention.

3. If the cap of the locking hub has been submerged under water for more than 1
minute, or is frequently submerged, then the hubs should be inspected as soon as is
reasonably possible. In most cases service will not be required, but if enough water
penetrates the assembly, the locking hubs and or wheel bearings can be damaged if
left un-attended.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #13

I had the rotors replaced 10,000 miles ago. Outer bearings on drivers side failed. Something is not quite right.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
I had the rotors replaced 10,000 miles ago. Outer bearings on drivers side failed. Something is not quite right.
Hi SierraHawk,

Were the bearings replaced 10k miles ago with the rotors? Your last statement caught my attention. I don't want to soil your thread unsolicited, however, the short story is I've had several newly replaced bearings in other vehicles (not smb) recently go bad in 10-15k miles. I shouldn't say go bad, the rollers spontaneously shattered like glass. In all the years I've worked on cars and trucks I've had many wheel bearings go bad (when expected), but I've never experienced new wheel bearings be fine for 10k miles and completely destroyed in an instant. I have had that experience with differentials other mechanics worked on, story for another day.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #15

There was a time when Timken meant you were getting the best bearings. Bearings are still marked with the Timken name but they are being made in China. Answer to your question is yes. They did put new bearings in but I have not seen them yet.

This same thing happened to me 4 to 5 years ago. It was the right hub that failed. First time I saw that the brake caliper was holding the hub on. I took the hub apart and found the rollers sitting at the bottom of the hub. None of them were broken but the cage was destroyed. Since we are near Tahoe and it is supposed to snow here today and tomorrow I had my van towed to a 4X4 shop. Apparently the rotor got so hot that the glue on weights dropped off of the wheel. The wheel was far too hot to touch.

As an aside, it is bizarre that the US consumer is still buying things that are made in China. The products have improved in the past 10 years but they are still flawed. We keep pumping capital into China and they are using it to build up a navy, construct islands that will allow them to control shipping and a new canal through South Central America. All done with the money they get from us.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #16
Orv

Garage
It's possible to get good stuff made in China, but the company contracting with the manufacturer there absolutely has to keep a close eye on quality control. They can't rely on the factory to do it for them.
Unfortunately in many cases the consumer doesn't have a choice, or doesn't want to pay extra to get US-made stuff. (People laughed at AOC's web store for selling $58 sweatshirts, but that's about what *all* sweatshirts would cost if they were made in the US from US-sourced materials.)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #17

Garage
Wanted to follow up with this thread as a way to notify other members with dynaloc hubs.

We just rebuilt the wheel hubs on a 2006 front prorock 60 that has the dynaloc locking hubs.
New bearings + races + seals + locking spindle nut + grease.
Taking the drivers hub apart showed wear to the dynaloc outer lock (it was and is difficult to transition from 'O' to 'X').
Ordered a new outer lock and two bronze pilot bushings.

Anyone with an older prorock 60 might want to check their dynaloc hubs and if there are no bushings between the inner and outer lock, contact dynaloc to purchase the pilot bushings ($10-each) as they help to minimize movement and wear to the outer and inner locks.
The following pdf instructions and youtube video both highlight the pilot bushing...brass in color in the video.
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/a...structions.pdf

Also, upgrading to stage 8 spindle nuts is an excellent way to ensure wheel bearings remain seated...cheap insurance. and the stage 8 uses a 4-pin spindle socket to install, which seems to provide more stability during install/removal than the 6-pin spindle socket. https://www.stage8.com/product/dna-6...na-60-spindle/

Lastly, this is a worthwhile tool for any DIY'rs who repack bearings... Lisle 34550 or other

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-fix-7124.html

4-pin spindle socket -

6-pin spindle socket -