Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #41

Thanks for the nice explanation. Now that my issues have sunk in I think my side to side bouncing was due to my bad shock. So I'll go with normal stops and new shocks, then see what I have. I can always add Sumo's later. I'll call Quadvan and see what they say.

Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #42

I agree, shocks are the problem and the fix. Good idea to add stops, but they don't need to be Sumo's.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #43

Just to clarify, my van has been bouncy since I had it converted 3 years ago. I just figured it was the way it was. I probably blew that shock early on and have been running on 1 since.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Just to clarify, my van has been bouncy since I had it converted 3 years ago. I just figured it was the way it was. I probably blew that shock early on and have been running on 1 since.

FWIW, my front axle conversion can use the rear shock P/N's for the E series vans/motorhomes.

....I moved the lower shock mount so this would work....

Bilstein offers a regular shock for the rear....for vans and short RV's and a "really stiff" valved version for long motorhomes. I put the stiff ones on the front and I'm happy, but I don't mind a "firm" ride....

Others here have found the RV valved shocks a bit stiff..so YMMV.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
FWIW, my front axle conversion can use the rear shock P/N's for the E series vans/motorhomes.

....I moved the lower shock mount so this would work....

Bilstein offers a regular shock for the rear....for vans and short RV's and a "really stiff" valved version for long motorhomes. I put the stiff ones on the front and I'm happy, but I don't mind a "firm" ride....

Others here have found the RV valved shocks a bit stiff..so YMMV.....
Interesting. Something to hash over. Calling Quadvan tomorrow and will report.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #46

I blew out my front Bilstein 5100's out there last year. I contacted Bilstein and the lifetime warranty doesn't apply. I changed out to the Fox 4.0 bought through Agile Offroad. They tune them out specifically for our vans. My van rides so much better now. Bilstein was stiff and I was never happy. Biggest thing is, my wife is happy.
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #47

Thanks for your comments, good to hear about other products. Nice to be able to soften the ride, sounds like everyone is happy. I did contact John at Quadvan and he said bump stops are part of their package. He was surprised that I didn't have any and got my conversion # and is looking into it. I drove van a few blocks to warm oil for a change without shocks, not fun. I put the one good one back on and got it back to being functional.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #48

Yesterday I drove up to Quad Van and John gave me new front shocks and bump stops. He didn't know how the stops were not installed, they are on their check list. I bought brackets and shocks to make front axle have 2 on each side. He said with V-10 and a SMB conversion it's a good idea. I learned a lot from this whole adventure and it turned out well and all made sense. Thanks to all who helped me understand, especially Boy Wonder.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
I blew out my front Bilstein 5100's out there last year. I contacted Bilstein and the lifetime warranty doesn't apply. I changed out to the Fox 4.0 bought through Agile Offroad. They tune them out specifically for our vans. My van rides so much better now. Bilstein was stiff and I was never happy. Biggest thing is, my wife is happy.

Did they give you a reason the warranty didn’t apply?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote