Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Borg Warner 1356

1998 Ford E350 7.3 conversion done a few years ago by CCV (with help of some sort from Agile Off Raod)
Borg Warner 1356 with electronic shift

Problem: 4x4 switch has power but doesn't do anything

I found a blown 25 amp fuse under the dash. 4x4 module under the dash tested good. Fuse blows every time i hit the switch.

I found a broken 2 pin plug on top of the transfer case. When unplugged the fuse doesn't blow and it seems to shift into 4H and 4L while in neutral. I haven't driven it with the plug unplugged. When i plug it in the, fuse blows when i hit the switch. I'm assuming the plug is shorting.

What does that plug do? Speed Sensor?

Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
image3.jpg   image2.jpg   image1.jpg   image0.jpg  

cshenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken, that's the plug for the dash indicator light, that let's you know you are in 4x4, and 4x4 low. I use the same t-case in mt 1995, but no plug or harness, as my dash has no provision for indicator lights.

When I was rebuilding my manual 1356, and my t-case shift linkage, I considered switching over to an electrically shifted T-case. After reading about people trouble shooting the electrically shifted one, water getting into the shift motor, corroding, and shorting out. Like the auto shifted vacuum operated hubs, I decided the electric T-case was one of those things that looked great on paper at time of sale, but was not necessarily one of Ford's/Borg-Warner's 'better ideas', and to stay away. I rebuilt my manual one, reconfigured the linkage, too, and never looked back. And yep, the shifter is in the way, and I have to get out and traipse through the mud to engage 4x4. I'll accept the muddy boots.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #3

Mine doesn't have a light on the dash either. CCV did the conversion on my 98 E350. i thought maybe it had something to do with the switch, but when i unplugged it, everything worked fine (actually better than when it was plugged in, because the plug was broken and causing the fuse to blow). It didn't blow the fuse and shifted in the 4H and 4L.

I am trying to find a new pigtail. Know where i can get that sort of thing. Tried the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's the plug for the dash indicator light, that let's you know you are in 4x4, and 4x4 low. I use the same t-case in mt 1995, but no plug or harness, as my dash has no provision for indicator lights.

When I was rebuilding my manual 1356, and my t-case shift linkage, I considered switching over to an electrically shifted T-case. After reading about people trouble shooting the electrically shifted one, water getting into the shift motor, corroding, and shorting out. Like the auto shifted vacuum operated hubs, I decided the electric T-case was one of those things that looked great on paper at time of sale, but was not necessarily one of Ford's/Borg-Warner's 'better ideas', and to stay away. I rebuilt my manual one, reconfigured the linkage, too, and never looked back. And yep, the shifter is in the way, and I have to get out and traipse through the mud to engage 4x4. I'll accept the muddy boots.
cshenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

these guys

https://www.transmissionpartsdistrib...bw1370-bw4401/
Old 09-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

I worked on one of these for my son and learned a lot. After all the troubleshooting it came to the fact the actuator motor was not cycled to the right shift point. I removed the motor and was able to manually shift the transfer case (little triangle stud that goes into the motor) to the 2 Wheel Drive. I then used a jumper wire to rotate the motor to match exactly the position of the shifter stud. Remounted the motor and it has worked flawless for 5 years at this point.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's the plug for the dash indicator light,
I've never had an electric shift so i can't say for sure, but on my manual 1356, that is a switch that rides on the shift cam to light the dash indicator. It could be different for an electric shift, but the photo looks exactly like mine.........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote