Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 06:04 AM   #21

Yes that brings me back to the question of bigger rotors and/or calipers for the Dana 44 front axle.

I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to get to know the van mechanically. Checking the brake fluid and adjusting the rear brakes if needed is on the to do list.

Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguy View Post
Yes that brings me back to the question of bigger rotors and/or calipers for the Dana 44 front axle.
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #23

That ssbc looks nice but its a little out of my price range. Gonna check the brakes today and make sure everything is adjusted properly and do a fluid check and go from there. Van stops fine but feels like I have to stand on the pedal to make it happen quickly. My 2014 E150 could be stopped with my big toe.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #24

Quote:
That ssbc looks nice but its a little out of my price range. Gonna check the brakes today and make sure everything is adjusted properly and do a fluid check and go from there. Van stops fine but feels like I have to stand on the pedal to make it happen quickly. My 2014 E150 could be stopped with my big toe.
"stand on the pedal to make it happen"
This is why you Need the SSBC kit.
The #1 most important part of your Van is your Brakes.. You cant really over pay for a Great Fool proof Brake system..You can mess around with all the rest .. But if you upgrade to the SSBC kit you will never look back and you really cannot over pay. How much is your Safety and those of your occupants and others around you worth ?
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #25

I looked at the SSBC options but the reality is it's just a caliper. Is the clamping force that much better than an OEM caliper? Maybe but bigger gains are to be had by simply going to a bigger rotor. IMO.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #26

Im sure the clamping force is consiberaly stronger with multiple pistons as well as clamping surface. If I'm gonna spend that much money though would be nice to find a kit that included larger rotors as well.

As far as safety I've never felt like it wouldn't stop just would like to do so without quite the effort. I ended up not checking my brakes today due to an unforeseen event that took most of the day to deal with. Could just need some brake maintenance to get it feeling better.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #27

Although it would be nice to not have to go to bigger wheels. $1200 seems like a lot of money for a pair of calipers though IMO.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #28
Orv

Garage
Since your concern is needing too much pedal effort, I think the first thing I'd check is the brake booster.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:56 AM   #29

Yeah that's def on the list of things to check. Wanna make sure everything is functioning properly before spending a bunch of money on upgrades. I would like to have rear discs though so will prob look into that as my first brake upgrade once everything gets sorted.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Im sure the clamping force is consiberaly stronger with multiple pistons as well as clamping surface. If I'm gonna spend that much money though would be nice to find a kit that included larger rotors as well.

As far as safety I've never felt like it wouldn't stop just would like to do so without quite the effort. I ended up not checking my brakes today due to an unforeseen event that took most of the day to deal with. Could just need some brake maintenance to get it feeling better.
You do understand the SSBC kits includes Rotors to.. Not just Calipers.. Again.. Trying to remake the wheel is a excersize in Futility.. Go to the SSBC site and look up what you need.. They include everything in the Kit, Rotors, Calipers, Pads, ETC. They even have an upgrade for the older vans that had Shoes in the Rear.

The Latest Brake through in Knockout Engineering and Design from SSBC-USA.
  • 100% Proudly Made in the USA
  • Machined from Lightweight, High Strength Billet Aluminum
  • 6 Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Pistons per Caliper
  • High-Friction, Low-Dust Brake Pads
  • 4 Full-Size Stainless Steel Bleeders
  • 6 Bridge Bolts per Caliper for Maximum Stiffness
  • Stainless Steel Pad Clips
  • Dual Seals (Pressure and Dust)
Fully Assembled, Easy to Install and Ready to Beat the Brakes Off the Competition.
  • Improves the Look of Any Vehicle
  • Delivers Knockout American Stopping Power
  • Direct Fit—No Brackets Required
  • Single Source for All Components—Everything Arrives in One Box
  • Clear Anodized or Powder Coat Finish (Red, Black)
Options – Contact us for details:
  • Rotor upgrades (slotted, dimple-drilled, plated)
  • Custom powder coating to match your vehicle/build
  • Mirror-like polishing available
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote