Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #11

Apparently Yukon had a bad batch of axle shafts that caused them to come close to bankruptcy. The axle shafts come with a warranty but only for vehicles that have tires that are up to 32". They did not put a number on the axle shaft. Message is that if you have Yukon axles you might want to contact the company and get more information.

I was told that the spline count is 30. After rebuilding the stock carrier and LSD three times I picked up a FF off of a Superduty E350 and put in a Truetrac along with new gears and bearings. Everything worked fine up until now. If anyone knows where I can get a 30 spline axle shaft 30 for a Superduty E350 I would be interested in looking at it.

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #12

Dang, SierraHawk what a hassle. Good luck with it.

The axles I pulled out of the D60FF I got out of a salvage yard from a 2001 E350 were 32 spline. I replaced those with 35 spline Dutchman axles as suggested by LetterJ. Seemed like it took more than a couple of days though. Either way, it seems odd that you ended up with 30 spline axles unless it was required by the truetrac? I'd go 35 spline especially considering all the woes to date.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #13

I wouldn't take their word for it, physically count the splines yourself, then count them again. There are certainly 30 spline D60FF's out there, but there are also 32 and 35 spline versions. If you are not 100% positive what year it came out of, or if the spline count was changed at the time the lsd was installed, all bets are off. Dutchman can make you 30 spline shafts if that is indeed what you need...

I personally wouldn't waste my time with 30 spline shafts in such a heavy vehicle, while that might be considered reasonably strong in a Jeep, it clearly won't cut it in a fullsize van that sees offroad use. E350 D60FF spindles will accept 35 spline shafts, but you'll still be stuck buying a new carrier to match. If you don't want to deal with it again, that would be the MINIMUM I would consider.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
Apparently Yukon had a bad batch of axle shafts that caused them to come close to bankruptcy.
That's the kind of situation that's just bad for everyone involved.

Quote:
The axle shafts come with a warranty but only for vehicles that have tires that are up to 32".
Not terribly surprising, and it's not like a single axle shaft is that big a deal, but more so when you get into the larger situation that you're in now. No fun at all. At least the area you're in is pretty.

I'll +1 on counting the splines yourself. I've really only worked with one mechanic that really understands that these vans have been pieced together from unrelated parts. All the others keep making assumptions about one thing based on another.

As others are suggesting, it's worth considering swapping gears just to get parts to work sooner. I actually had to look this up, since I was confused on why folks were suggesting higher spline count axles for more strength. Higher spline count seems to be directly related to axle diameter. More splines == thicker axle.

Good luck! Also, once you figure out the right axle, consider picking up a spare.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #15

SierraHawk thanks for keeping us posted on your axle adventure and I hope for quick resolution for you.

Question for the Axle Gurus.

Am I wrong to conclude that if I was to swap in a full float axle that no mater which donor 1 ton axle I used I would want to configure it for 35 spline shafts? First for availability of parts and secondly for strength?

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
SierraHawk thanks for keeping us posted on your axle adventure and I hope for quick resolution for you.

Question for the Axle Gurus.

Am I wrong to conclude that if I was to swap in a full float axle that no mater which donor 1 ton axle I used I would want to configure it for 35 spline shafts? First for availability of parts and secondly for strength?

-Eric
I'm no axle guru but there are more locker options for 35 spline in a D60. Also of note is SMB spec'd the dyntrac prorock60 front axle with 32 spline.

Anyone who has a D60SF on their rig with an ARB locker for example will need to upgrade to 35 spline axles if they do a swap to a full floater. Not sure but the SF has 35 spline and the FF in general was 32 spline.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #17

Posting again to correct mis-information in my above post. SMB spec'd the front Dynatrac Prorock with a 30 spline outer. Not sure why. Apparently, SMB is the only vendor that sources a 60 from Dynatrac with less than 35 spline.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #18

This is just act 1. Got the axle w/30 splines and it slid into place. Nuts back on and tightened but the shop journey man said that inside the carrier is probably a Detroit Locker and not the Eaton Truetrac. Drove away from the shop it did just fine. Problem solved kinda.

Act 2: Telling the shop foreman who did the FF rebuild. Either he ordered the wrong diff or Eaton sent the wrong diff. I need to know how to approach the shop personnel at Wally and Sons and present this problem.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #19

With regard to Act 2 I would look up the BOM# and see what was in that axle in the first place. It still seems odd to me that you ended up with 30 spline axles. If it had 32 spine like most full floater then why did they stick 30 spline in there when the expense of upgrading to 35 spline is minimal? Sorry that just seems negligent to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

I suspect that the shop that swapped the axles just didn't expect a Truetrac to look as much like a Detroit locker as it does. That said...

I feel like you'd know if you were driving around with a Detroit locker in the back on dry pavement. If you are, there would be noise when you come out of turn and go back to driving straight.

If you are, it might not be super great for the longevity of the axles either, though I don't know how much worse a Detroit locker is from a Truetrac. They are probably more similar than different, thought Detroit will have more of a tendency to stay locked.

Edit: Eaton even refers to the Truetrac as a Detroit Truetrac

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, break, eaton, rear, shaft