Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #1

Building a D60 FF, Options

So I'm building up a Dana 60 full float rear axle to replace my semi float, and I'll be adding 410 gears, a limited slip and 35 spline axles. My old axle has the stock Ford Tracloc limited slip that uses clutches and requires non synthetic oil and an additive. As time goes on, they become less effective and eventually the clutches wear out and have to be replaced. Another option is an Eaton Truetrac that is geared, so no clutches or additive and you can use synthetic oil. Anyone have any experience with a geared limited slip? Any pitfalls? I don't want a locker because their way too much fun in the snow.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #2

Garage
I have had the TrueTrac in a previous vehicle and really liked it. I plan to have those front and rear in my van and rover at some point soon. I have had the Ford Tracloc in my last SMB and when it was working, it was good. I also had ARB Lockers front and rear, VW vacuum controlled lockers front and rear, as well as detroit lockers. They all have there place but my preference is the TrueTrac. You do not have to think about what it is doing, it just works. The lockers are great but can get out of control (fun if ready for it) fast in the snow.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #3

I just picked up a Sterling 10.5 full floater out of a 2000 srw super duty, w/tru trac, for a future upgrade. I also plan to swap out the gears for 4.10's (and who knows what else, maybe new clutch plates for the tru trac unit).

What I discovered with some reading on Pirate 4x4, is that guys are swapping in an Eaton e-locker, from the latest Ford truck axles. No current and the diff is open, energized locks it up. Left on for a week and it will drain the battery, but not hurt the unit (no complicated Toyota-type harness necessary) It seems a relay and lighted spst switch is all that's needed. The best part is new it's only $500. Something to consider.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
What I discovered with some reading on Pirate 4x4, is that guys are swapping in an Eaton e-locker, from the latest Ford truck axles. Something to consider.
I thought long and hard about a locker when I built my front axle, but decided I preferred the limited slip. Lockers certainly have their place and when you need one they can't be beat, but I think the LS is better in snow and ice, and besides, I don't do that much hard core wheeling. If I did a lot more, I probably would have kept the SMB I just sold because it had D60's front and rear with ARB air lockers in both, and a lot more hard core stuff. So, I'm definitely going with a LS, I'm just not sure which type yet.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

What about the Auburn Gear ECTED Max? From what I gather it's the only locker that is LS when unlocked. It's unclear to me whether the D60 fitment is LS when unlocked though.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

ECTED would be my first choice too, followed closely by TrueTrac.

FWIW - I run full sythetic with my clutch-based Limited Slip. Mobile-1 (and others) are approved for clutch-based LSD. I would have gone with the fancier diffs however, if they were available for the E450 Dana 80. But it works well for me, and I've never spun just one wheel. In fact, I sometimes have the opposite problem, where I can't steer anywhere but straight if I'm slippery surfaces with a heavy trailer hooked up.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I went with a Detroit Truetrac in my full float
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

I have the Truetrac in the front D60 axle and still have the Tracloc in the rear. Would love to have a Truetrac in the rear D70 but 1) not sure they make it for a D70 and 2)I already have a Tracloc that seems to work when needed. Whenever it gives up I will make the switch if possible.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

I just replaced the factory L/S clutch pack in my D60 rear. There was no real wear after 130k miles but the pressure washer broke. I discovered this after swapping in my 4.30 from 4.10's, which by the way I am very happy with the performance. Minimal trans down shifts. The 7.3 seems to be in the correct power band with the 35's. What a pain to get those spiders to turn even with compressing the clutch pack. Almost 4 hours just to line up the spider gears. Just to retain the clips was a pain. Greasing the clips to the pack was not enough. I found that putting a zip tie around the pack to hold the clips in place worked great. Once the pack was in place the down pressure slid off the ties.
As far as lockers, I am a big fan of Detroit lockers. Like with everything you must know how to use them. Having an Atlas twin stick like most SMB's have makes lockers even more driver friendly. Yes on sharp switch backs the front axle wants to plow straight, solution pull it out of 4x4 and switch to front wheel drive, problem solved!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #10

Garage
I put a Detroit Truetrac in the rear of my Jeep TJ Wrangler. It's a geard posi LS that works by worm gears in the diff. I know it's working because it gives little "wiggle" in the middle of turns in the snow. Not like a Detroit Locker but you definitely know it's working. It also can also give a little tire chirp in tight turns when you're on the gas. Otherwise you don't know it's there. My only concern would be the longevity and strength in a heavy vehicle under constant load. I also have one in the front axle in my old CJ5 and it worked fine through the Rubicon with no issues, traction or otherwise. I would definitely put one of these in the front D60 in my SMB van, and plan to, but don't know about the rear. You can and should run synthetic oil in these.