Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #1

Chevy Express and Ford Econoline Pros and Cons

Hi,

I'm still shopping my base van. Yesterday I test drove two 2021 Chevy express (reg wb) and GMC Savana (ext wb) vans and really like the idea of a new or newer base van platform to which I would add 4x4 and a campervan "live in it" type build..

My observation in researching upfitters, van builders and 4x4 places is that the Ford Econoline seems to remain favored over Chevy. Not in all instances, but enough so that I notice and wonder why, thus the question. For example, U-Joint won't even do Chevys. The owner told me the frames are weak. But WeldTech seems to love Chevys and gladly upfits them with lifts, 4x4, custom bumpers, etc for offroad.

Indeed, Sportsmobile has gone to great lengths to continue offering the Econoline via the cutaway with SMB van body. Why?

My use case is a "classic" looking 4x4 campervan to travel/live in almost full time for the next 2-3 years, maybe longer. Either Ford or Chevy will do, but I don't know what I don't know about why the Econoline seems favored by aftermarket sellers and many vanbuilders.

Are there "Objective", reasons that the Econoline still seems to hold favor despite not being produced for 6 years now?

bravelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #2

Garage
Adding 4x4 wasn't an option with the Express until fairly recently. That was one factor for us in case we want to add 4x4 later. The Express EB has a longer wheelbase which increases turning radius and high center potential.

The deciding factor for us was avaiable power trains. The Chev 5 liter was too little and the 6 liter too much (2wd). The Ford 5.4 hit the sweet spot. For a 4x4 the 6 liter 6 speed Express sounds great. Although the Ford v10 is awesone as well.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Adding 4x4 wasn't an option with the Express until fairly recently. That was one factor for us in case we want to add 4x4 later. The Express EB has a longer wheelbase which increases turning radius and high center potential.

The deciding factor for us was avaiable power trains. The Chev 5 liter was too little and the 6 liter too much (2wd). The Ford 5.4 hit the sweet spot. For a 4x4 the 6 liter 6 speed Express sounds great. Although the Ford v10 is awesone as well.

Decisions, decisions!

What do you think of the new 6.6 L V8 gas engine that Chevy is putting in their vans? That’s the engine that was in both vans that I test drove and they drove nice. I want to be able to tow a medium trailer if I ever decide to, to use as a base camp.
bravelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #4

So 4*4 is a must have? Why not AWD? Transit and Sprinter are pretty damn good platforms to build on. Buying a new Express would be nice for the engine but yeah no more AWD.

Anyway chevy vs Ford has plenty of discussions.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...thread.137390/

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ion-23816.html
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #5

Most of the companies that convert vans to 4x4 have this problem with the GM vans...you end up with a "bastard" van. For strength and dependability, people who off-road prefer a solid front axle. GM 4x4 trucks come with independent front suspension, and a truck is where the conversion companies get their 4x4 components from. So if a conversion company builds a 4x4 GM van it will have a Ford axle and associated components under it. If and when it comes repair time, you have a nightmare.

If, for instance, you get a Ford van 4x4 conversion done by Quigley the van will still retain the factory warranty as all the components under it are still Ford. If you modify a GM van by sticking Ford parts under it, good luck on getting anything fixed under warranty.

I had a 1976 GMC van 4x4 conversion that I drove for over 32 years. So when it came time to replace it, I wanted another GM, only this time with the Duramax. That's when I found all the problems - back when my GM van was converted, GM made vehicles with solid front axles and transfer cases oriented to fit those axles. No more. And, same as you, when I contacted the conversion outfits, they strongly advised against the GM. One of them actually took the time to show how a GM van body would twist when going over gnarly terrain, whereas the Ford would not. So I ended up with a Ford. And so far, having owned it for 13 years, I've been very satisfied. Only repair done in 13 years was changing out a brake switch that was causing intermittent cruise control problems.
The old GMC:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terravan at Stewart Creekr Sep 1977.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	38129

My understanding is that now some of the converters will convert GM vans using the same independent front suspension components that the GM pickups use. It won't give you the same ground clearance as a solid front axle but it is something to consider and then you'll have a GM van, not a "bastard".
Old 02-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #6

Garage
There seems to be some incorrect information posted. Back in the Pathfinder days I have no doubt it was different.

I have a 2008 GMC Savana with a Quigley 4x4 conversion and Weldtec Design lift. It has independent front suspension using GM parts including hubs, torsion set up, control arms, transfer case, etc. What isn't GM is the spindle and subframe. It is repairable by any GM shop.

My van is lifted and Weldtec does make a coil over set up for even more lift.

Quigley has been doing GM conversions for a long time with independent GM front suspension with no loss of manufacturer warranty as they are an authorized upfitter.

If one wanted a sold front axle, that is different but it doesn't have to be Ford parts.