Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #21

Definitely start with what you want to do with it and folks can help better from there.

The Agile TTB fits my criteria very very well. I spend a lot of time on the highway and have little kids, so I am not going that far off the grid. But I gotta handle snow, mud, sand, and trail conditions.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Mornin is there any thread out there that compares agile ttb to ujoint leaf or coil conversions,or other builders that actually compares parts installed and which work better in different 4x4 scenarios (sand/mud/snow),which work better for heavy full conversionvans bumpers,racks etc vs passenger vans? If so please let me know or if someone is willing to start a thread for all the people like me that don’t fully understand the different systems and don’t want to make a $20-k mistake,thx

Build (the thread) and they will come.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #23

If it's strictly E-Series, then that narrows down your choices a lot and there are really only two converters that I would personally go with.

U-Joint can give you a straight axle with either leaf sprung front end or coil sprung front end. Both are 6" plus lifts so you are looking at 35" tires. the Coil Sprung is designed by MG Metalworks/Expovans but I am told that he is no longer doing E-Series at his shop near Portland and if this is wrong I will edit it, but I think they have gone full boar into the Transit conversion they are designing. Ujoint is a top notch outfit. Others will have to fill you in the merits of these conversions as I don't want to personally say anything that could be wrong.

MG Metalworks/Expovans near Portland will do certain E Series models if time and capacity permits. His Straight Axle Coil Conversion is also offered at U-Joint. This would be my first choice for a 6" conversion.

Agile Offroad is the other place that I would consider and where I had my van converted. They us a Twin Traction Beam IFS type setup from older F250's. It will be about a 4" lift and uses 33" tires typically. Agile also developed their own custom tuned Fox shocks for their application. These guys are baja racers and their goal was to create a faster trail type 4x4. As I own one, I will say that it is a plush highway ride and I drive my van 70-80mph on the highway. My offroading thus far has been limited, but it will eat up dirt roads and plow through snow. they use manual hubs and the electic shift so no lever. I love my Agile. And again, they are a top notch outfit.

If you happen upon a Quigley converted van Agile makes a RIP or Ride Improvement Package that will greatly improve the handling and ride of the Quigley. If you happen upon a Quigley Chevy, then you might consider Weld-Tec's lift and IFS and would have an amazing vehicle.

Just talking E-Series, these are the two best converters that I know of. Both companies have amazing support and customer service. I know that if I was having an issue I could call Agile any time and would get help fast. Both companies are also very well known in the van world and their conversions are coveted.

Sportsmobile will still do their 4x4 conversion, but you need to find a 2010+ V10 with less than 60k on it.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
If it's strictly E-Series, then that narrows down your choices a lot and there are really only two converters that I would personally go with.

U-Joint can give you a straight axle with either leaf sprung front end or coil sprung front end. Both are 6" plus lifts so you are looking at 35" tires. the Coil Sprung is designed by MG Metalworks/Expovans but I am told that he is no longer doing E-Series at his shop near Portland and if this is wrong I will edit it, but I think they have gone full boar into the Transit conversion they are designing. Ujoint is a top notch outfit. Others will have to fill you in the merits of these conversions as I don't want to personally say anything that could be wrong.

Agile Offroad is the other place that I would consider and where I had my van converted. They us a Twin Traction Beam IFS type setup from older F250's. It will be about a 4" lift and uses 33" tires typically. Agile also developed their own custom tuned Fox shocks for their application. These guys are baja racers and their goal was to create a faster trail type 4x4. As I own one, I will say that it is a plush highway ride and I drive my van 70-80mph on the highway. My offroading thus far has been limited, but it will eat up dirt roads and plow through snow. they use manual hubs and the electic shift so no lever. I love my Agile. And again, they are a top notch outfit.

If you happen upon a Quigley converted van Agile makes a RIP or Ride Improvement Package that will greatly improve the handling and ride of the Quigley. If you happen upon a Quigley Chevy, then you might consider Weld-Tec's lift and IFS and would have an amazing vehicle.

Just talking E-Series, these are the two best converters that I know of. Both companies have amazing support and customer service. I know that if I was having an issue I could call Agile any time and would get help fast. Both companies are also very well known in the van world and their conversions are coveted.

Sportsmobile will still do their 4x4 conversion, but you need to find a 2010+ V10 with less than 60k on it.
We will still do E-series conversions when we have the time/capacity. There's just so much going on that I like to only work on very specific configurations now. 2009+ V10s....no problem. Other models on a case by case basis only. I don't work on ambos or motorhomes either.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
We will still do E-series conversions when we have the time/capacity. There's just so much going on that I like to only work on very specific configurations now. 2009+ V10s....no problem. Other models on a case by case basis only. I don't work on ambos or motorhomes either.

There you have it!! So MG/Expovans Straight Axle Coil Conversion would be a preferred choice for an E series and as you can see, MG is right here to answer any questions.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #26

I have done some research and have come up with these companies that do 4wd conversions on Transits. Ujoint, Quadvans, Quigley, and Expovans. Am I missing anyone? Is there any reason to pick one over the others?
Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #27

Wow thx flux/mg/jong just now got the email! Well I know my four wheelin would be limited because of my class-b’s height/weight so I haven’t registered it yet and will need to decide if I sell it and get a regular roof van for conversion or keep it etc
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Just so I’m clear you wouldn’t work on this 2009 5.4 v8 e250 class b? I know it’s a motor home but not class c
Attached Thumbnails
1E0A76AF-448D-4FA2-AE81-64072A1B279F.jpg   4C972428-47B4-491B-8DBA-C85065ADEC9A.jpg  
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post

U-Joint can give you a straight axle with either leaf sprung front end or coil sprung front end. Both are 6" plus lifts so you are looking at 35" tires.
We have 4" kits available for both leaf & coil. 4" lift, 33" tires.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
I have done some research and have come up with these companies that do 4wd conversions on Transits. Ujoint, Quadvans, Quigley, and Expovans. Am I missing anyone? Is there any reason to pick one over the others?
We don't have a Transit option.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote