Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
No offense, but there’s so many variables that this blanket statement can’t apply to all vans.

I didn’t have any rub with some borrowed quarter worn 35’s on my quigley before I installed the moog springs associated with the rip kit. However, I did rub the lower corners of my front bumper. It was minimal rub and typically only at full lock and on uneven ground.

I now run 315/75/17’s (just shy of a 35) on my van and still have had zero issues with rub on the fenders. i removed a 1/2” off each bottom side of my front bumper as to not to rub at full lock. Even bouncing around out in the woods I have yet to connect with fenders and my van weighs 10,6xx with the bikes on the back.

Oh, but both those tires sizes, along with 33’s all rub on the quigley lower control arms at full lock on each side.

Op will need to experiment once the desired lift/conversion is complete. Also keep in mind my lack of rub on fenders could be due to the tire manfs not having to follow any kind of guidelines. There is zero tire industry standards when it comes to sizing or tread wear. My tire examples are bfg’s on the 35’s (ko1’s) and 315’s (ko2’s), and Toyo at2’s on the 33’s. One companies 35 could be a larger diameter and an inch wider than another. Always a crap shoot with tires. That’s why it’s always best to test fit or spend a lot of time reading tire spec sheets.
I thought the OP was talking about getting an Agile TTB kit? I'm 99% sure a 35" tire of any brand wont clear without some modification. I agree with you that 35's arent always 35's though.

The Quigley with a RIP kit sits about 2" taller than an Agile TTB kit. I remember when I picked mine up after conversion, there was a Quigley with a fresh RIP kit and it looked huge next to my van. John said something about how much taller Quigleys are in general, especially after having the taller spring put in.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I thought the OP was talking about getting an Agile TTB kit? I'm 99% sure a 35" tire of any brand wont clear without some modification. I agree with you that 35's arent always 35's though.

The Quigley with a RIP kit sits about 2" taller than an Agile TTB kit. I remember when I picked mine up after conversion, there was a Quigley with a fresh RIP kit and it looked huge next to my van. John said something about how much taller Quigleys are in general, especially after having the taller spring put in.

I was rather vague in my OP. I was concerned with: 1) Is it reasonable to spend the $$ to add 4wd to a 21 year old van? and, 2) Can I accomplish that without having a 98"+ tall van?

I haven't received any negative feedback on #1. I hadn't heard of Agile before, but I think they can help me accomplish #2. So, all good.

Thank you!!

~Terry
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
I thought the OP was talking about getting an Agile TTB kit? I'm 99% sure a 35" tire of any brand wont clear without some modification.
Gotcha, my apologies. I read it as all converted vans since there was a reference to ujor.

Unfortunately I have zero experience with the ttb setup, but that makes total sense since that setup doesn’t need height for travel like all the rest of the conversions.

Question if someone can answer, is there caster adjustment on ttb suspensions? If so, could you add caster till there was clearance to miss the fenders?

Quote:
I agree with you that 35's arent always 35's though.
And that’s not just big truck tires. That’s across the board. Learned this the hard way trying to stuff wide sticky tires under lowered cars. Can be very frustrating, especially when you can’t find spec sheets on tires you’re interested in.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
I haven't received any negative feedback on # 1...
Total subjective question. IMHO, if your hung up on resale, it’s likely not worth it. If you view the conversion as a gateway to unforgettable memories with people you love, its worth every cent.

I picked up my 03 quigley for about what the original owner paid to have it converted. Have seen quite a few other vans go for the same. Someone just picked up an insanely good deal on bring a trailer. Basically paid what a full conversion and most all their add ons from ujor would be for the entire rig. Dude scored big.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...d-econoline-2/
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 11-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Total subjective question. IMHO, if your hung up on resale, it’s likely not worth it. If you view the conversion as a gateway to unforgettable memories with people you love, its worth every cent.

I picked up my 03 quigley for about what the original owner paid to have it converted. Have seen quite a few other vans go for the same. Someone just picked up an insanely good deal on bring a trailer. Basically paid what a full conversion and most all their add ons from ujor would be for the entire rig. Dude scored big.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...d-econoline-2/

I totally agree. I absolutely love this van and the opportunities for adventure it promises. I could likely sell this van and with that $$ + the $$ I would pay for the 4wd conversion, I could buy a newer machine with the 4wd. But, I trust this van and that means a LOT to me. Plus, like I said, it seems the others are lifted higher than I care to go.

With the Agile conversion, I will be able to do all I want. But, frankly, I have a lot to learn. I don't even know what TTB is and after looking it up, I still don't. Lots to learn.

Camping at Mexican Hat, Utah this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
33C89E90-AEE9-472F-997F-1BD863C79247.jpg  
Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #36

Garage
Sounds like you’ve made up your mind already

You tube how ttb suspension works. Seeing the setup in action makes it a lot easier to comprehend. If I could afford it, I know I’d enjoy it.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #37

Garage
Hey, shenrie, I should have thought of that. OK, now I get it. Thanks.

BTW, I have a t-shirt with your tag line printed on it. It always gets a laugh or two.

~Terry
Old 11-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #38

Garage
^^^ how did we live without you tube?? Np and glad to help

I had never seen that shirt until now. Never even thought to look. That saying was used by a fellow racer at the first autox I attended in an attempt to help me understand what I was doing that day 20+ years ago. Thanks for letting me know. Ordering 2 right now
Old 11-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm figuring out. That's a deal breaker. I've read elsewhere that I can make a big improvement with a locker on the rear end (I'm such a green horn, I don't even know what that is). I sent an inquiry to Weldtec, I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks mikracer.

Terry
I put a locker on the rear of my 2002 Ford E-250 SMB. I've only used it a few times for a few minutes each, but I have not been stuck anywhere yet. Of course, I cannot go everywhere a 4X4 might go (serious rock crawling) and I wish I had a low gear when going up or down some nerve-racking areas. But, for what I do, I'm satisfied with just having the locker. At times I think I would like to do the White Rim Trail near Moab and wonder whether I would make it with just my locker, but my vertigo probably would keep me from doing that trip anyway, so it is probably good that I don't have 4X4.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #40

You do not need 4x4 just get your Rear Axle Setup with a Locker. IF you really have the need then yes contact Ujoint and buy the Kit they sell.. You will not be happier.

PS mine is a 1996 ! I am the Original Owner.. I will never ever give up my van.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote